Courtland Township, Michigan

related topics
{township, household, population}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{line, north, south}
{area, part, region}
{land, century, early}
{village, small, smallsup}

Courtland Township is a civil township of Kent County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2000 census, the township population was 5,817. The community is quite rural in character and farmland still occupies much of the township, but the area also seems to be on the edge of expansion of the Grand Rapids metro area.

Almost all of the township is served by the Rockford post office, ZIP code 49341, and the Rockford Public Schools. As a result, most people residing in Courtland Township identify themselves as Rockford residents.

Contents

History

Barton Johnson was the first settler in the township, arriving in 1838. He lived near the modern intersection of 13 Mile Road and Myers Lake Road. About fifteen other families moved into the township the next year, and those people remained the only residents for the next fifteen years.[citation needed]

The first township meeting was held at the home of Barton Johnson in 1839, the year the township was also officially organized.

Communities

The pioneers of the township had settled near the center of the township, and that small community became known as Courtland Center. The Courtland post office was housed there and served the area from October 24, 1856 until February 15, 1901. Today there is nothing recognizable as a village in that area.

Evans and Sheffield were two small communities that formed around railroad stops along the Toledo, Saginaw and Muskegon Railway, which later became part of the Grand Trunk Western Railroad. Both communities were founded in 1888 and disappeared when the railroad eliminated the stops and later ceased service in 1946. Evans was located on Redmond road about a half mile south of Benham, and Sheffield was located at the intersection of Myers Lake and 15 mile roads. A post office operated in Sheffield from 1891 until 1906.

Transportation

Wells Airport is located in the township.

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.0 square miles (93.2 km²), of which, 35.5 square miles (91.8 km²) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km²) of it (1.45%) is water.

Most Of The Township Is Served By 49341 (Rockford), Northern Portions are Served By 49319 (Cedar Springs), Most Of The Children Under 18 Are Served By Rockford Public Schools, Northern Portions are Served By Cedar Springs Public Schools.

Full article ▸

related documents
Presque Isle Township, Michigan
Alpine Township, Michigan
Antioch Township, Michigan
Unadilla Township, Michigan
Osage Township, Becker County, Minnesota
Caldwell Township, Michigan
Jamestown Charter Township, Michigan
Ligonier Township, Pennsylvania
Bensalem Township, Pennsylvania
Muskegon Township, Michigan
Norman Township, Michigan
Clay Township, Michigan
Hinton Township, Michigan
Monroe Charter Township, Michigan
East Whiteland Township, Pennsylvania
Iosco Township, Michigan
Egelston Township, Michigan
Vermilion Lake Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
Long Lake Township, Michigan
Green Oak Township, Michigan
Independence Township, Michigan
Le Roy Township, Mower County, Minnesota
Allendale Charter Township, Michigan
Kelsey Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
Red Rock Township, Mower County, Minnesota
Highland Township, Osceola County, Michigan
Dexter Township, Mower County, Minnesota
Kugler Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
Allouez Township, Michigan
Industrial Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota