Cushing, Maine

related topics
{household, population, female}
{township, household, population}
{town, population, incorporate}
{build, building, house}
{church, century, christian}

Cushing is a town in Knox County, Maine, United States. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 1,322. A favorite of artists for its unspoiled natural setting, Cushing includes the villages of North Cushing, Cushing, South Cushing, and Pleasant Point.

Contents

History

Part of the Waldo Patent, it was called the Lower Plantation of St. Georges, once extending across both sides of the St. George River. It was first permanently settled in 1733 with Scots and Irish immigrants recruited from Ireland by Brigadier-General Samuel Waldo, who offered 100 acres (0.40 km2) for each household. Attacks during the French and Indian Wars, however, deterred habitation. A stone blockhouse known as Burton's Fort was built in 1753 by its commander, Captain Benjamin Burton. Hostilities finally ceased in 1759 with the Fall of Quebec. [1] On January 28, 1789, the town was incorporated and named for Thomas Cushing, statesman and lieutenant governor of Massachusetts. On February 7, 1803, the town of St. George was set off and incorporated. [2]

The Olson House was depicted in Andrew Wyeth's 1948 painting, Christina's World, which in turn was used as Dahlia Gillespie's house in the 2006 horror film Silent Hill, and inspired the farmer's house in the 1978 film Days of Heaven. The building is now operated by the Farnsworth Art Museum of Rockland. [3]

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 26.1 square miles (67.6 km²), of which, 19.4 square miles (50.2 km²) of it is land and 6.7 square miles (17.4 km²) of it (25.74%) is water. Cushing, which includes Gay Island, is situated on Muscongus Bay between the Meduncook River to the west and St. George River to the east.

The town is served by Maine State Route 97. It borders Friendship to the west, Warren and Thomaston, Maine to the north, and separated by the St. George River, South Thomaston and St. George to the east.

Full article ▸

related documents
Fanshawe, Oklahoma
Sheldon, Vermont
Bagnell, Missouri
Hudson, Indiana
Bargersville, Indiana
Boykins, Virginia
Griswold, Connecticut
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Wingate, Indiana
Winhall, Vermont
New Castle, New York
Hulett, Wyoming
Trail Creek, Indiana
Clermont, Indiana
Eureka, North Carolina
Lewis and Clark Village, Missouri
Perham, Maine
Cloverdale, Indiana
Oolitic, Indiana
Morristown, Vermont
Carpendale, West Virginia
Littleton, West Virginia
Lumberport, West Virginia
Kent City, Michigan
West Liberty, West Virginia
Grantsville, West Virginia
Portland, New York
Franklin, West Virginia
Oceana, West Virginia
McKittrick, Missouri