Damariscotta, Maine

related topics
{land, century, early}
{household, population, female}
{water, park, boat}
{town, population, incorporate}
{island, water, area}
{line, north, south}
{language, word, form}
{area, community, home}
{village, small, smallsup}
{game, team, player}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Damariscotta is a town in Lincoln County, Maine, United States. The population was 2,041 at the 2000 census. A popular tourist resort area, the towns of Damariscotta and Newcastle are linked by the Main Street bridge over the Damariscotta River, forming the "Twin Villages." The name Damariscotta is an Indian name meaning "river of little fish".

Contents

History

The area was once inhabited by the Wawenock (or Walinakiak, meaning "People of the Bays") Abenaki Indians, who left behind 2,500-year-old oyster shell middens along the banks of the Damariscotta River. The Whaleback Shell Midden is now a state historic site. The land became part of the Pemaquid Patent, granted by the Plymouth Council in 1631 to Robert Aldsworth and Gyles Elbridge, merchants from Bristol, England. At Pemaquid (now Bristol), they built a fort and trading post. [1]

Some colonists moved upriver from the village at Pemaquid about 1640 to settle what is today Damariscotta. But the settlements were attacked in 1676 during King Philip's War, with the inhabitants either driven off or massacred. Attempts to rebuild alternated with further attacks during the French and Indian Wars. The Province of Massachusetts Bay constructed Fort William Henry at Pemaquid in 1692, but it was destroyed in 1696. Its replacement, Fort Frederick, in 1729, successfully resisted the region's final two attacks, and was pulled down at the Time of the Revolution so that the British could not occupy it. With peace at last, Damariscotta grew as a trade center. It was incorporated as a separate town on March 15, 1848, set off from parts of Bristol and Nobleboro.[2]

Damariscotta is an extreme corruption of the Algonquin word Madamescontee, meaning "place of an abundance of alewives," which are small, salty fish that spawn in Damariscotta Lake. The main village is located at the lower falls and head of navigation on the Damariscotta River. Early industries included two sawmills, a match factory and a tannery. Along the river were established several brickyards, which supplied much of the brick used to build Boston's Back Bay neighborhood. But shipbuilding in particular brought Damariscotta wealth in the 1800s, when clipper ships were launched at the town's shipyards. [3] During that time, many fine examples of Federal, Greek Revival and Italianate style architecture were erected, giving the old seaport a considerable charm which each summer attracts throngs of tourists.

Full article ▸

related documents
New Gloucester, Maine
Liverpool, New York
Stevensville, Montana
Newbury, Massachusetts
Stonington, Maine
Limerick, Maine
Bowdoinham, Maine
Camden, Maine
Salina, Oklahoma
Washington, New Hampshire
Dumfries, Virginia
South Berwick, Maine
Buxton, Maine
East Marion, New York
Middlesex, Vermont
Kanosh, Utah
Vonore, Tennessee
Murfreesboro, North Carolina
Wilson, Arkansas
Bollinger County, Missouri
Silverhill, Alabama
Turner, Maine
Otisfield, Maine
Hastings-on-Hudson, New York
Plymouth, North Carolina
Rollinsford, New Hampshire
Natick, Massachusetts
Bristol, Maine
York County, Maine
Prairie du Rocher, Illinois