Delmar, Maryland

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{law, state, case}
{town, population, incorporate}
{school, student, university}
{government, party, election}
{line, north, south}
{film, series, show}
{company, market, business}
{service, military, aircraft}

Delmar is a town in Wicomico County, Maryland, United States. The population was 1,859 at the 2000 census. It is included in the Salisbury, Maryland Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

The Town of Delmar was founded in October 1859 with the extension of the Delaware Railroad to the southern boundary of Delaware. The Transpeninsular Line was responsible for the founding of this unique bi-state town because the Charter of the Delaware Railroad Company permitted only the building of a railroad within the State of Delaware and the charter of the corresponding railroad company in Maryland permitted only the laying of railroad track within the State of Maryland. Thus, in 1859, the two respective railroads met and the Town of Delmar was born. The name of Delmar was derived for this railroad center from the states whose line it straddles - DELaware and MARyland.

The Town of Delmar grew slowly until 1884 when the New York, Philadelphia and Norfolk Railroad Co. completed a railroad from Pocomoke City, Maryland to Cape Charles, Virginia and also established a ferry service across the Chesapeake Bay between Cape Charles and Norfolk, Virginia. These new developments immediately made the Delmarva Peninsula an important link between the north and south. The Town of Delmar, being the midway town of the Delmarva Peninsula and already a railroad terminal, was the point for trains to change crews and locomotives and also a center for maintenance of the rolling equipment. As a result of these developments, a tremendous influx of experienced railroad men into the community and considerable extra employment was furnished for local townspeople. During this accelerated rapid growth period, Delmar became a "boom town". New dwelling units sprang up all over town and new businesses were established to meet the demands of its growing population. By 1889, the population of the Town of Delmar had increased to 680 and was still growing.

In 1888, the Town of Delmar, Maryland was granted a charter by the General Assembly of Maryland. An examination of this charter and the laws of Maryland fails to reveal any mention of the twin town of Delmar, Delaware. Therefore, it could be assumed that up until this time there was very little cooperation between halves of the Town of Delmar. The Town of Delmar was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1892 and again in 1901. The first fire destroyed everything in its path over a ten acre (40,000 m²) area and the second major fire was almost as destructive. In each instance, the Town of Delmar was rebuilt and continued as a flourishing town. The first indication of any cooperation between Delmar, Maryland and Delmar, Delaware came in 1924 when surveys were conducted for a possible sewerage system for the entire Town of Delmar. The construction of the sewerage system in 1927 was considered the first joint project between the two towns in that the law provided that both towns would maintain the outfall sewer with Maryland paying the expenses and billing the Delaware side one-half of all costs.

Full article ▸

related documents
Carpentersville, Illinois
Arlington, Illinois
Grant Town, West Virginia
McLean, Texas
Capron, Oklahoma
Keeler, California
Blossburg, Pennsylvania
Paw Paw, Illinois
Elmira Heights, New York
Orleans, Vermont
Goodsprings, Nevada
Glade Spring, Virginia
Orangeville, Illinois
Johnson City, New York
Tutwiler, Mississippi
Fredonia, New York
Ransom, Illinois
Murphys, California
Wachapreague, Virginia
Jonesville, North Carolina
Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Byron, California
Rising Sun, Maryland
Williamsport, Maryland
Ivins, Utah
Virginia City, Montana
Franklinton, North Carolina
Ardsley, New York
Albers, Illinois
Monongah, West Virginia