Demographics of Mongolia

related topics
{country, population, people}
{household, population, female}
{woman, child, man}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

This article is about the demographic features of the population of Mongolia, including population density, ethnicity, education level, health of the populace, economic status, religious affiliations and other aspects of the population.

Mongolia's population growth rate is estimated at 1.54% (2000 census). About two-thirds of the total population is under age 30, 36% of whom are under 14.

Contents

Ethnic groups of Mongolia

* - In the 1956 National Census Darkhad were counted with Uriankhai

** - including Chantuu (Uzbek), Tuvan, Khoshuud, Khotgoid, Tsaatan

*** - including Chantuu (Uzbek) 432, Tuvan 5,433, Khoshuud 208, Khotgoid 8,229, Tsaatan 345, Sartuul 1,751, Khamnigan 643, Kharchin 304, Khoshut 208, Eljigin 172, Khorchin 171, Kalmuks 6, Ukrainians 820, Jews 36, Vietnamese 35, Lao 3, Koreans 10, Georgians 5.

Ethnic Mongols account for about 85% of the population and consist of Khalkha and other groups, all distinguished primarily by dialects of the Mongol language. Mongol is an Altaic language--named after the Altay Mountains of Central Asia, a language family comprising the Turkic, Tungusic, and Mongolic subfamilies--and is related to Turkic (Uzbek, Turkish, Tatar, and Kazakh), Manchu, and possibly Korean or Japanese. The Khalkha make up 90% of the ethnic Mongol population. The remaining 10% include Durbet Mongols and others in the north and Dariganga Mongols in the east. Turkic speakers (Kazakhs, Tuvans, and Uzbeks) constitute 7% of Mongolia's population, and the rest are Tungusic-speakers, Chinese, and Russians. Most Russians left the country following the withdrawal of economic aid and collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Full article ▸

related documents
Demographics of Kiribati
Demographics of Tuvalu
Demographics of Bermuda
Demographics of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Demographics of the Northern Mariana Islands
Demographics of Egypt
Demographics of Saint Kitts and Nevis
Demographics of the United States Virgin Islands
Demographics of Bulgaria
Demographics of San Marino
Demographics of Lesotho
Demographics of Senegal
Demographics of Greenland
Demographics of Western Sahara
Demographics of Luxembourg
Demographics of the Netherlands Antilles
Indochina
Lhotshampa
Demographics of Bahrain
History of Niue
Demographics of the British Virgin Islands
Chita Oblast
Demographics of Martinique
Rift Valley Province
Ethnic nationalism
Chepang
Liao Dynasty
Dutch East Indies
Chemehuevi
Demographics of Mauritania