Diamond Bar, California

related topics
{area, community, home}
{city, population, household}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{area, part, region}
{company, market, business}
{@card@, make, design}
{school, student, university}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{acid, form, water}

Diamond Bar is a city in eastern Los Angeles County, California, United States. The population was about 60,360 as of January 1, 2008.[5] It is named after the "diamond over a bar" branding iron registered in 1918 by ranch owner Frederick E. Lewis.

Located at the junction of the Pomona and Orange freeways, Diamond Bar is primarily a residential city with shopping centers interspersed within the city. The city features a public Los Angeles County golf course.

Diamond Bar has the first hydrogen fueling station to be built in Southern California,[6] near the South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD) building.

Contents

History

In 1840, Jose de la Luz Linares received the 4,340-acre (1,760 ha) Mexican land grant Rancho Los Nogales (Ranch of the Walnut Trees) from Governor Juan Alvarado. The land grant included Brea Canyon and the eastern Walnut Valley. Linares died in 1847, and his widow sold a part of the ranch to Ricardo Vejar for $100 in merchandise, 100 calves, and the assumption of her late husband's debts. Vejar also owned the Rancho San Jose to the east, and acquired the rest of Rancho Nogales over the next 10 years.

But Vejar's luck did not last that long. As time wore on - and particularly as the United States government took over California - Rancho Los Nogales was divided and sold into multiple land ranches, the largest of which was the Diamond Bar Ranch. At the time, it was one of the largest working cattle ranches in the western U.S. The entire Diamond Bar Ranch was acquired by the Transamerica Corporation in the 1950s for the purpose of developing one of the nation's first master-planned communities. Transamerica gave the Diamond Bar name to its new community and incorporated the ranch's familiar diamond and bar cattle brand into various logos (many of which are still in use today).

The first houses in this development were built in 1960, adjacent to the future location of the Pomona Freeway, which was built through the area ten years later.[7] The town's development and population grew extremely quickly after that.

Full article ▸

related documents
Berkeley Lake, Georgia
Murrieta, California
Lake Forest Park, Washington
Murphy, Texas
Duluth, Georgia
Oak Park, Michigan
West Covina, California
Laguna Hills, California
Dublin, Ohio
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Burien, Washington
Hercules, California
Norman, Oklahoma
Mission Viejo, California
Ririe, Idaho
Alhambra, California
Signal Hill, California
North Kansas City, Missouri
Goleta, California
Evansdale, Iowa
Turlock, California
Solana Beach, California
Sunnyside, Washington
Blanchard, Oklahoma
West University Place, Texas
Faribault, Minnesota
Farmington, Michigan
Bexley, Ohio
Renton, Washington