Dixie Inn, Louisiana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{village, small, smallsup}
{build, building, house}
{line, north, south}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{city, population, household}


Dixie Inn is a village in Webster Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 352 at the 2000 census. It is located off Interstate 20 at the old Shreveport Road some twenty-six miles east of Shreveport. Minden, the seat of Webster Parish, is located some two miles to the east. Dixie Inn is part of the Minden Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Most of the original houses in Dixie Inn were built during World War II to serve munitions workers at the former Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant located off U.S. Highway 80 to the east.

Dixie Inn was incorporated in 1956. The late Clyde Stanley, Sr., was the first mayor of the village, having defeated James William "Tinker" Volentine (1915-1982), 69-54 votes. All but seven of the registered voters participated in the election.[1]

Contents

Historic Antioch Baptist Church

The Antioch Baptist Church in Dixie Inn was first established in September 1858 as the Gum Spring Church near the site of the much later Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant. The church moved eastward to the existing site effective February 25, 1872. The church observed a centennial ceremony on that day in 1972. In 1882, fire destroyed the building and all records. The structure was rebuilt and new rooms were added over the years. In 1943, the church called J.R. Hearron as its first full-time pastor.[2]

A new and larger facility was built in 1957 during the tenure of pastor M.R. Perkins. Soon the educational building was razed by fire and had to be rebuilt. On October 7, 1959, the church held its first service in the current sanctuary and adjoining rooms. Since Hearron, the pastors have included Cecil Basham, J. Guy Allen, Perkins, T.E. Windsor, Jack Edwin Byrd, Sr., Charles W. Wallace, and Malcolm Self. Wayne Reeves was called from Antioch as a pastor in Many.[2]


Geography

Dixie Inn is located at 32°35′40″N 93°20′12″W / 32.59444°N 93.33667°W / 32.59444; -93.33667 (32.594552, -93.336707)[4].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.8 km² (0.3 mi²), all land.

Full article ▸

related documents
Washington Park, Illinois
Franklin Grove, Illinois
Junction City, Missouri
Gilead, Nebraska
McLean, Illinois
Anchor, Illinois
Lushton, Nebraska
Farley, Missouri
Freeburg, Missouri
Zaleski, Ohio
North Henderson, Illinois
Bowen, Illinois
Ridott, Illinois
Braxton, Mississippi
Good Hope, Illinois
Crab Orchard, Nebraska
Pope, Mississippi
Kenney, Illinois
Malden, Illinois
Loraine, Illinois
Murrayville, Illinois
Concord, Illinois
Detroit, Illinois
Hindsboro, Illinois
Strasburg, Illinois
Oconee, Illinois
Milton, Illinois
Wellington, Illinois
Roberts, Illinois
Rockbridge, Illinois