Dumfries, Virginia

related topics
{land, century, early}
{household, population, female}
{@card@, make, design}
{town, population, incorporate}
{island, water, area}
{township, household, population}
{government, party, election}
{area, community, home}
{county, mile, population}

Dumfries is a town in Prince William County, Virginia, United States. The population was 4,937 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

Dumfries is located at 38°34′4″N 77°19′29″W / 38.56778°N 77.32472°W / 38.56778; -77.32472 (38.567853, -77.324591)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km²), all of it land. The town is situated about 28 miles south of Washington D.C.[4]

History

Dumfries history began as early as 1690 when Richard Gibson erected a gristmill on Quantico Creek. A customhouse and warehouse followed in 1731, and many others cropped up along the estuary by 1732. The Town of Dumfries was formally established on 60 acres (240,000 m2) of land at the head of the harbor of Quantico Creek, provided by John Graham. He named the town after his birthplace, Dumfries, Scotland.

After much political maneuvering, the General Assembly established Dumfries as the first of seven townships in the county. Dumfries received its charter on May 11, 1749, making it the oldest continuously chartered town in Virginia.

The Ceremonial Seal of the Town of Dumfries embodies elements of its heritage, from the period of 1651, when the first patents were issued to colonists, who following the Potomac recognized the value of a snug harbor in Quantico Creek. Thus the foundations for the establishment of a town, which in 1749 received its charter from the Colonial government in Williamsburg, Virginia.

The elements of the seal are contained within the pattern formed by the outer frame of a hawser rope or cable, and the inner frame of an anchor chain, of a type employed in ships of the Colonial era.

Within these frames are found items which are consistent with a town of maritime background. They are overlaid on a chart of the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River, with Dumfries indicated at the head of Quantico Creek. The navigational aids of the sextant and compass rose complete the maritime motif.

The two water fowl relate to the wetlands of Quantico Creek. The dock with fishnet, pilings, ships block and line further the theme of a mercantile port of call. The thistle indicates the Scottish founders of the town, with the name of Dumfries, taken by John Graham, the founder, in honor of his home in Scotland.

Full article ▸

related documents
Limerick, Maine
Liverpool, New York
Camden, Maine
New Gloucester, Maine
Wilson, Arkansas
Stevensville, Montana
Buxton, Maine
Washington, New Hampshire
Damariscotta, Maine
Bollinger County, Missouri
Newbury, Massachusetts
Stonington, Maine
Bowdoinham, Maine
Middlesex, Vermont
Bristol, Maine
York County, Maine
Natick, Massachusetts
South Berwick, Maine
Kanosh, Utah
Rollinsford, New Hampshire
Salina, Oklahoma
Amherst County, Virginia
Turner, Maine
Dracut, Massachusetts
Hastings-on-Hudson, New York
Prairie du Rocher, Illinois
Cave-In-Rock, Illinois
Murfreesboro, North Carolina
East Marion, New York
Liberty County, Georgia