EADS-CASA, previously Construcciones Aeronáuticas SA (CASA), was a Spanish aircraft manufacturer. It became the Spanish branch of EADS in 1999, but absorbed by Airbus Military in 2009. CASA produced numerous landmark military transport aircraft designs such as the CASA C-212 Aviocar, CASA C-295 and the CASA C-101 trainer/ground attack aircraft.
Construcciones Aeronáuticas SA(CASA) was founded by Jose Ortiz Echagüe in 1923 and began work (May 1924) on a factory in Getafe , and built Breguet aircraft under license. The first order covered 26 Breguet 19 A.2 and total production of this type eventually reached 400 aircraft.
In 1926 CASA built a second factory in Cadiz to build a licensed copy of the German Dornier Do. J Wal seaplane. CASA built 17 Do. Js for the Spanish Air Force, 12 for Naval Aviation branch of the Spanish Navy and two for commercial users. CASA also operated several branch facilities in Spain for repair and overhaul of aircraft. King Alfonso XIII visited the main factory in 1930. In 1929 the CASA-1 flew, the first CASA designed aircraft. During this time CASA a built the French Breguet XIX, two of which would be made especially famous. One, was the Breguet XIX GR (Grand Raid) named the Jesus del Gran Poder, currently preserved in the Museo del Aire de Cuatro Vientos (Madrid), which in 1929 flew an epic flight between Seville and Bahia (Brazil). This aircraft was piloted by Captains Ignacio Jiménez and Francisco Iglesias and covered 6746 km in 43 hours 50 minutes of flight. The other was the Breguet XIX Super Bidon named the Four Winds and was flown by Mariano Barberan and Collar Joaquin Serra to Havana (Cuba) in 1933. In 1932 CASA obtained from the UK aircraft company, Vickers, the license to build 25 Vickers Vildebeest land based torpedo bombers, which were powered by French Hispano 600 hp engines.
During the Spanish Civil War the CASA Getafe factory was located in the Republican zone, it was relocated to Alicante and then opened another in Sabadell (at the end of the war CASA production returned to Getafe). CASA manufacture of the Russian Polikarpov I-15 biplane fighter producing 287 aircraft before that civil war ended.
After the war, CASA opened a new plant in Tablada, Seville, after obtaining from Germany various aircraft licenses, and built 25 Gotha Go 145A as the CASA 1145, 25 Bücker Bü 133 Jungmeister as the CASA 1133 and 555 Bücker Bü 131 Jungmann as the CASA 1131. Production of these German aircraft designs continued even after the end of World War two until the late fifties. The CASA 201, a twin engine transport, engines were Spanish made ENMASA VAT Tigre G-125 engine. In 1940 CASA began the licensed manufacture of 200 Heinkel He 111s twin engine bomber as CASA 2111. (Note: These are the aircraft that were used as World War Two German Luftwaffe He-111s, that have been seen in various movies like "The Battle of Britain" and "Patton".)
Full article ▸