East Hancock is a primarily residential neighbourhood in Hancock, Michigan, though it also includes the easternmost block of Quincy Street, the main street of Hancock's downtown.
East Hancock Neighborhood Historic District
The East Hancock Neighborhood Historic District is a nationally-recognized historic district which is a substantial subsection of the East Hancock neighborhood. The District is bounded by Front Street, Dunston Street, Vivian Street, Mason Avenue, and Cooper Avenue,and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
There are 88 residences in the East Hancock Neighborhood Historic District, along with a synagogue, gas sation, and WPA project. The majority of the residences were built between 1890 and 1920.
The East Hancock neighborhood was formerly characterised by a number of deep ravines originally covered with wooden sidewalks that were filled in by the Dakota Heights Land Company; the neighbourhood was then "subdivided into residential lots". Development in the neighborhood began in the 1890s and surged in the early 1900s, when a rush of prosperity increased the numberof relatively wealthy people in Hancock. The neighborhood brought together Hancock citizens involved in the business and mining sectors of the economy. Notable early residents of the area were primarily mine employees and managers. As mining declined in importance, more Hancock businessmen moved into the neighborhood.
Many of the residences in East Hancock were designed by prominent local architects. Styles represented in the neighborhood include Queen Anne, Stick, Shingle, Neo-Classical, Renaissance Revival, and Bungaloid.
A principal feature is a WPA-project stone staircase "[descending] from "Cooper Avenue to Front Street".
Historically, East Hancock was important as the station from which the trolley departed to the Electric Park resort.
Full article ▸