East Point, Georgia

related topics
{city, population, household}
{area, community, home}
{city, large, area}
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{government, party, election}
{land, century, early}
{work, book, publish}
{woman, child, man}
{system, computer, user}
{war, force, army}
{town, population, incorporate}

The City of East Point is southwest of the neighborhoods of Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia, United States. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 39,595. Census estimates of 2007 indicate a population of 42,940. The city is named for being at the opposite end of the former Atlanta & West Point Railroad from West Point, Georgia.

Contents

History

The name East Point derives from the fact that it is the place where the Atlanta & West Point Railroad ends in the east, just as West Point, GA is the place where the rail line ends in the west.

The city started with a citizenry of only 16 families in 1870, but grew quickly after it became an inviting place for industry to develop. Soon it boasted the railway, two gristmills and a government distillery located on Connally Drive. One of the earliest buildings was the factory of the White Hickory Manufacturing Company, built by B.M. Blount and L.M. Hill (who became the first chairman of the board of aldermen, i.e. mayor, of the city.

By 1880 the town also had two churches, a common school, a steam-gin, a sawmill, a post office (actually founded in 1851), a telegraph office and its own newspaper weekly, The Plow Boy. East Point ranked as a grain and cotton-growing center, and with its pleasant climate and proximity to the railway, had also become a popular summer resort.

During the United States' American Civil War, numerous war time skirmishes were fought in East Point, and after viewing the destruction brought by Sherman’s March, one eyewitness reported that there was “nothing here [that] resembles a town.”[1]

In 1884 the first telephone rang in East Point, and in 1887, the city received its first charter. Then came the first housing boom in 1890, when a major portion of property along East Point Avenue was subdivided and developed, opening the way for more homes, more churches, more people and more places of employment. By 1892 Main Street was completed, despite protests from a few progress-shy early settlers who maintained that one major thoroughfare, Newnan Road, was more than sufficient.

By the turn of the century, the adolescent town was poised to grow into the city it eventually would become.

Government and infrastructure

While the City has an elected Mayor, the majority of daily decisions are made by a hired City Manager. The Manager is approved by the eight-member City Council, headed by the Mayor who has veto power. The city is divided into four Wards (A, B, C, & D), each with two City Council Members.[citation needed]

Full article ▸

related documents
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Burlington, North Carolina
Prattville, Alabama
Wixom, Michigan
Audubon Park, Kentucky
Bellflower, California
Weirton, West Virginia
Merced, California
Colby, Kansas
Three Rivers, Texas
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Arlington, Washington
Reile's Acres, North Dakota
Roseville, Minnesota
Tualatin, Oregon
Seneca, South Carolina
Pell City, Alabama
Richland, Washington
Des Plaines, Illinois
Benwood, West Virginia
Garden Grove, California
John Day, Oregon
Mission Hills, Kansas
Fredericksburg, Texas
Cathedral City, California
Eureka, Missouri
Heber City, Utah
Somerset, Kentucky
Copperas Cove, Texas