Coordinates: 55°03′42″N 3°15′51″W / 55.061553°N 3.264243°W
Ecclefechan (Eaglais Fheichein in Gaelic) is a small village in the south of Scotland in Dumfries and Galloway.
Ecclefechan lay in the early middle ages within the British kingdom of Rheged, and the name is derived from the Brythonic for "small church" (cognate with Welsh "eglwys" = church, "bach" mutated to "fach" = small). After Gaelic later spread in the area, the belief arose that the name derived from the 7th century St Féchín of Fore.
The village is known as "Fechan" to the local residents. It has two shops, one of which is no longer a Post Office, a hairdresser, a church, a doctors surgery and a primary school "Hoddom Primary School". It also has three hotels: "The Ecclefechan Hotel" with its white-painted frontage is prominent on the High Street and the main junction in the village; the "Cressfield Hotel" which has an adjoining caravan park; "Kirkconnel Hall Hotel" which sits to the north.
Geography and administration
Ecclefechan lies in the valley of the Mein Water, a tributary of the River Annan, 5 miles (8 km) north of Annan and 8 miles (14 km) northwest of the English border. The A74(M) runs immediately north of the village and J19 of this motorway is just northwest of the village.
The High Street of the village has a burn which runs through a culvert below it. This culvert was constructed in 1875 by Dr George Arnott at his own expense.
Places of interest
Thomas Carlyle's birthplace "The Arched House" is a tourist attraction and has been maintained by the National Trust for Scotland since 1936.
Ecclefechan lies at the foot of a large Roman Fort, Burnswark, whose flat top dominates the horizon. Two miles from the village centre lies Hoddom Castle, a caravan and holiday park.
Full article ▸