Edcouch, Texas

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{area, community, home}
{company, market, business}
{day, year, event}
{school, student, university}

Edcouch is a city in Hidalgo County, Texas, United States. The population was 3,342 at the 2000 census. Edcouch is located at the intersection of State Highway 107 and Farm to Market Road 1015. It is part of the McAllenEdinburgMission Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

Although in use as ranch land, Edcouch was sparsely settled prior to the 1900s.

During the early 1900s, land speculators began to buy up the land that was to become the Delta Area of the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas. People from the northern part of the United States were invited to visit the area, and representatives of the land companies sold property to anyone who had the money to buy.

People from all parts of the nation began moving south. Mercedes, Donna, and Edinburg were small towns then, and the area now known as the Delta Area was, for the most part, unsettled. Weslaco was a newer town, developed by the land company from which it derived its name.

Among the first to settle the Delta area was R.R. Hill, who built a store on what is now known as Farm to Market Road 1015 and Mile 16-N, south of the current location of Edcouch. Not wanting to send his children 15 miles to Edinburg, Mr. Adolph Carlson donated a couple of acres of land at the corner of Mile 4-W and Mile 17-N for the purpose of building a school. Located at the current location of the Edcouch-Elsa High School, the Carlson School soon became a community center.

Realizing that the railroad would be coming through the area, land promoters began lobbying for it to run through their property. Mr. Ed Couch, a Weslaco land promoter and banker, owned property north of Elsa on Mile 17-N. Hoping for the railroad to come to his property, he secured a right of way. Not to be outdone, Mr. William George worked to influence the railroad to go through his property north of Mile 16-N, the location of the new town of Elsa.

Realizing that Mr. George was proving to have more influence in this matter, Mr. Couch made plans to build a town 2 miles east of Elsa, on property which he secured. The town of Edcouch was born. A Mr. Lackland opened a section of town east of what is now known as FM-1015, and began selling only to Latin Americans.

Within a year, Edcouch had 2 feedstores, a box factory, 2 ice plants, 2 lumber yards, 11 packing sheds, a theater, a furniture store, a funeral parlor, a variety store, 3 grocery stores, a real estate office, a telephone exchange, post office, bank, community center, jail, drugstore, cafe, barbershop, and even its own newspaper—the Edcouch Enterprise.

It was much bigger then than it is now. Over the years, hurricanes and fires have destroyed many of its businesses, its once bustling down town has deteriorated, at least half of its remaining buildings vacant. The railroad ceased operations a few years ago and the tracks themselves were removed in 2000. It is today a low-income bedroom community with a population of under 3,000.

Full article ▸

related documents
Lyons, Nebraska
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
Crestwood, Missouri
Belt, Montana
Blomkest, Minnesota
Rose Hill Acres, Texas
Cushing, Texas
Vanceburg, Kentucky
Monmouth, Oregon
St. Charles, Idaho
Newton, Illinois
Herriman, Utah
Clinton, Utah
East Carbon, Utah
El Cerrito, Contra Costa County, California
Earlville, Illinois
Clifton, Kansas
Osborn, Missouri
Gilmer, Texas
College Place, Washington
Dennison, Minnesota
Ripley, West Virginia
Water Valley, Mississippi
Everman, Texas
Shelby, Iowa
Warren City, Texas
Sarles, North Dakota
Ormsby, Minnesota
Paden City, West Virginia
San Diego, Texas