Edina, Missouri

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}

Edina is a city in Knox County, Missouri, United States, between the North and South Forks of the South Fabius River. The population was 1,233 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Knox County[3].

Contents

Geography

Edina is located at 40°10′8″N 92°10′24″W / 40.16889°N 92.17333°W / 40.16889; -92.17333 (40.168881, -92.173275)[4]. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km²), all of it land.

History

William Jackson Smallwood drew up the plans for Edina in 1839, situating it on high ground with an adequate water supply. Surveying was done by Stephen W. B. Carnegy, an attorney from Canton, Missouri ; “Edina” was a reference to his home (taken from Scottish poet Robert Burns’ "Address to Edinburgh"). The town was incorporated in 1851 and had 800 residents by 1860,

During the American Civil War, no battles were fought in Edina, but both the Union and the Confederacy engaged in recruiting in the area. And the town had divided sympathies. In July 1861 Confederate militia from Lewis County entered Edina, and the Union Home Guard retreated to Macon, Missouri. The city was peacefully occupied for several days, with Confederate troops encamped in the Milltown section. After the war, conflicts continued at a low level with occasional bloodshed, as was characteristic of the area.

Edina became a center for business and transport. The town was reshaped by the 1872 arrival of builder Louis Weishar, who was responsible for the construction of St. Joseph's Church in 1874 and eight of the eleven new buildings on the west side after the fire of 1891. In 1907 his firm built the public school and parochial schools. in 1907 as well as St. Joseph's School the same year.

An electric power plant was constructed in 1890; a movie theater was established in 1908 and the streets paved in 1915; a new water works was put in place the same year.

The city suffered during the Great Depression; three of its four banks closed, and the city lake fell to dangerously low levels in the drought of the late 1930s. The local economy was lifted in part by Federal building projects, including the courthouse in 1935 and the school gymnasium in 1939.

The post-WW II years saw a small construction boom. Parking meters were installed around the square in 1952 and remained controversial until they were removed in 1973. Dial telephone service appeared in 1960.

During the 1980s Edina survived economic distress, drought and a consequent crisis in water supply, decline in population, and the loss of its railroad. The 1990s saw continuing decline, though new businesses subsequently moved into vacant buildings on the square.

Full article ▸

related documents
New Salem, North Dakota
White Sulphur Springs, Montana
Ellington, Missouri
Creighton, Nebraska
Grandview, Washington
Portland, Tennessee
Dimmitt, Texas
Petersburg, Texas
Emma, Missouri
St. Robert, Missouri
Michigan City, North Dakota
Agua Dulce, Nueces County, Texas
Newcastle, Wyoming
Bella Villa, Missouri
Springfield, Tennessee
Cayuga, North Dakota
Forsan, Texas
Cherokee, Oklahoma
Fairview, Oklahoma
Charlack, Missouri
Finger, Tennessee
Newark, Texas
Medina, North Dakota
Pine Forest, Texas
Pawnee, Oklahoma
Calio, North Dakota
Stanton, Nebraska
Grey Forest, Texas
New London, Missouri
Bevington, Iowa