Elkland, Pennsylvania

related topics
{build, building, house}
{township, household, population}
{land, century, early}
{son, year, death}
{school, student, university}
{area, part, region}
{line, north, south}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{day, year, event}
{rate, high, increase}
{work, book, publish}
{village, small, smallsup}
{household, population, female}
{county, mile, population}
{group, member, jewish}
{math, number, function}

Elkland is a borough in Tioga County, Pennsylvania, in the United States. The population was 1,786 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

Elkland is located at 41°59′24″N 77°18′40″W / 41.99°N 77.31111°W / 41.99; -77.31111 (41.989863, -77.311238)[1].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 2.3 square miles (6.1 km²), all of it land.

History

Elkland Borough

In 1814 the township of Elkland, now no longer in existence, was organized. Its territory, taken from Delmar Township, extended along the New York state line from the ninety-third to the one hundred and fourth mile-stone—a distance of eleven miles (18 km). It extended north and south a distance of ten miles (16 km) and embraced within its boundaries the present boroughs of Nelson, Elkland and Osceola, all of Farmington, and parts of Lawrence, Deerfield, and Middlebury townships. In December 1816, a part of the township of Lawrence was taken from it, and in September 1822, another portion of its territory went to Middlebury township. In February 1830, the territory of the township of Farmington was taken from it. Those several reductions confined it to a narrow strip, about eight miles (13 km) long, from east to west, by two and three-fourths miles wide, from north to south. By an act of the legislature, approved April 10, 1849, its territory was still further reduced by the creation of the borough of Elkland, to which, from time to time, additions have been made. In January 1857, all that part of the township not embraced in Elkland borough limits, lying west of a line extending through the center of that borough, from north to south, was erected into the township of Osceola, and in December 1857, all lying east of the same line became the township of Nelson, and Elkland township passed out of existence. By the subsequent extension of the Elkland borough limits south of the Cowanesque river, the townships of Osceola and Nelson both suffered material reductions of area. There is still left, however, a narrow strip between the southern boundary of Elkland and the northern boundary Farmington township, the western half of which belongs to the borough of Osceola, and the eastern half to the borough of Nelson. Some years ago a movement was afoot to annex this strip to Elkland borough and thus give it and Osceola and Nelson boroughs more symmetrical boundaries, but for some reason the annexation was not made.

Full article ▸

related documents
White House
Beaverton, Michigan
Lonaconing, Maryland
1871 Great Chicago Fire
Port Allen, Louisiana
Excelsior Springs, Missouri
List of tallest buildings and structures in the world
Princeton, West Virginia
Pelican, Alaska
Ackley, Iowa
Boyce, Virginia
Cave Junction, Oregon
Portland, Michigan
Midland, Maryland
Ghost town
West Salem, Illinois
Empire State Building
Litchfield, Minnesota
House
Morrisonville, Illinois
Potter, New York
Centralia, Pennsylvania
Holly Hill, Florida
Columbia, Pennsylvania
Lima, Ohio
La Grange, Wyoming
Carrier Mills, Illinois
Avenal, California
Girard, Kansas
McFarland, Kansas