Elkton, Minnesota

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}
{county, mile, population}
{township, household, population}

Elkton is a city in Marshall Township, Mower County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 149 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km²), all of it land.

Demographics

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 149 people, 52 households, and 37 families residing in the city. The population density was 113.7 people per square mile (43.9/km²). There were 59 housing units at an average density of 45.0/sq mi (17.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.33% White, and 0.67% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.03% of the population.

There were 52 households out of which 40.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.5% were married couples living together, 1.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.8% were non-families. 26.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.87 and the average family size was 3.54.

In the city the population was spread out with 35.6% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 11.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 112.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.3 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $32,813, and the median income for a family was $43,125. Males had a median income of $26,875 versus $29,688 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,950. There were 2.9% of families and 5.8% of the population living below the poverty line, including 10.4% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.

History

Elkton was platted on January 25, 1887 by W.E. Richardson and Frank A. Day. It was incorporated on January 2, 1906. On January 30, 1906 the people of the township elected a president of the council, three councilmen, a recorder, a treasurer, two justices of the peace, two constables and an assessor. A sidewalk was constructed on Main Street in 1908, electricity was brought in the late 1920s, and the water system was built in 1946. Curbs, gutters and new streets were added in 1965.

Full article ▸

related documents
George, Washington
Grano, North Dakota
Talbotton, Georgia
Edgar, Nebraska
Frankford, Missouri
Lisbon, Iowa
Manchester, Georgia
Brinsmade, North Dakota
Landa, North Dakota
Gainesville, Missouri
Whalan, Minnesota
East Jordan, Michigan
Caspian, Michigan
Bicknell, Indiana
Willowbrook, Kansas
Elliott, North Dakota
Raymond, Mississippi
Hannah, North Dakota
Clifford, North Dakota
Pleasant Hill, California
Robinson, Texas
Manton, Michigan
Dakota, Minnesota
Manhattan Beach, Minnesota
Pike Road, Alabama
Bergen, North Dakota
Osborn, Missouri
Spring Park, Minnesota
Lohman, Missouri
Sandusky, Michigan