Ellisville, Missouri

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{city, population, household}
{line, north, south}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{work, book, publish}
{son, year, death}

Ellisville is a city in St. Louis County, Missouri, United States. The population was 9,104 at the 2000 census.

In 2009, Money magazine ranked Ellisville #25 on the annual Best Places to Live in America list[3].

Contents

History

[4] Ellisville was settled by Captain James Harvey Ferris of Kentucky before 1837. He brought slaves with him when he settled his property south of Manchester and west of Kiefer Creek Road and it was here that the house that became known as the "Ellis House" was constructed. The bricks used for construction of the house were handmade by the slaves and it was also called the "Brick Place" for this reason.

Captain Ferris sold the house to Vespasian Ellis, a newspaper editor in St. Louis. The Old School Democrat, the Native American Bulletin, the Washington Temperance Paper, and The Native American were publications edited by Ellis. In 1842, Ellis became the United States consul to Venezuela. He ran several ads in the Native American Bulletin in an effort to sell his Ellisville farm. As a result, it was sold to William A. Hereford in 1842 or 1843. Hereford was a Virginian and is credited with the naming of Ellisville after his former post office in Ellisville, Virginia. Hereford opened the first post office here on May 2, 1843. Some believe that the Ellis House itself actually served as the post office for a time. All historical accounts of the area give the same history, but none state clearly whether the town was named for Vespasian Ellis or by William Hereford for his Virginian post office.

Hereford sold to Samuel Wilson and he sold to Major Clarkson of Kentucky for whom Clarkson Road is named. Major Clarkson sold to Captain Benjamin F. Hutchinson of Kentucky, a steamboat captain and the owner of at least three steamboats. Captain Hutchinson raised fine horses and planted extensive orchards, greatly improving the surrounding countryside. In 1968 Captain Hutchison subdivided his farm into small lots.

Adam Doering purchased the brick house and a considerable portion of the land. John Henry William Rasch purchased the house about 1896 from the Doering's. The Ellisville House stood until 1969 when it was razed.[5]

Geography

Ellisville is located at 38°35′38″N 90°35′15″W / 38.59389°N 90.5875°W / 38.59389; -90.5875 (38.594003, -90.587490)[6].

Full article ▸

related documents
Sunnyside, Utah
Garibaldi, Oregon
Elbing, Kansas
Roy, Utah
Hardy, Arkansas
Watertown, Tennessee
Cherryvale, Kansas
Nason, Illinois
Eureka, Utah
Forrest City, Arkansas
King City, Missouri
Belton, South Carolina
Sayre, Oklahoma
Ilwaco, Washington
Anna, Texas
Jakin, Georgia
Baldwin City, Kansas
Hemphill, Texas
Rowan, Iowa
Trenton, Texas
Corinne, Utah
Gunnison, Utah
Andrew, Iowa
Kanopolis, Kansas
Chandler, Oklahoma
Cordova, Alaska
Gautier, Mississippi
Iowa Park, Texas
WaKeeney, Kansas
Meadowlands, Minnesota