Ellwood City is a borough in Beaver and Lawrence counties in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. Ellwood City is 30 miles (48 km) northwest of Pittsburgh and some 8 miles (13 km) south by southeast of New Castle. In the past, Ellwood City sustained many light industries such as steel-tube mills, steel-car works, building-stone and limestone quarries, foundries and machine shops, coal-mining, etc. In 1910, 2,243 people lived in Ellwood City, 3,902 lived there in 1910, and 12,329 lived there in 1940. The population was 8,688 at the 2000 census.
Per Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 363-365
Prosperous and thriving borough that it is, with its enormous manufacturing plants which produce millions of dollars’ worth of products and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in salaries, yearly, with its well stocked stores and its modern homes, Ellwood City, located within the limits of Wayne Township, has a history which dates back less than a score of years. It is the home of such plants as those of the American Steel Car Forge Company, Glen Manufacturing Company, Ellwood Foundry Company, Standard Engineering Company, National Tube Company, Ellwood City Glass Company, Ellwood Brick and Limestone Company, Standard Tube Company, the Tindel-Morris Company, the Oarlock Packing Company, the National Supply and Construction Company and the Ellwood Lumber Company.
The American Steel Car Forge. Company is the outgrowth of a business begun in 1894 under the name and style of the Baker Forge Company, which was organized for the purpose of manufacturing wagon hardware. The plant occupies 7.5 acres (30,000 m2) of land and gives employment to about 700 men. Its officers are J. M. Hanson, president; C. W. Wright, secretary; T. A. Gillespie, treasurer, and C. A. Martin, general manager.
The Standard Tube Company, the largest seamless tube plant in the world, was originally conducted as a stock company, with R. C. Steifel as president and general manager; the stock was owned by R. C. Steifel, J. H. Micholson and C. E. Pope. It was conducted as an independent concern until 1901, when it was purchased by the National Tube Company, and shortly afterwards incorporated as a part of the United States Steel Corporation. The various seamless tube manufacturing plants are operated under the Shelby Steel Tube Company, with general offices in Pittsburgh. The Ellwood City plant covers 9 acres (36,000 m2) and has a capacity of 350 tons per day, employing 2,200 men. Its capital stock is $600,000.
The Elmwood Brick and Limestone Company is a successor to the Ellwood Brick Company, Limited, which was organized in May, 1892, and was one of the first plants of any consequence in the borough. J.M. Montgomery is president, and T. J. Fulmer, secretary and treasurer. It is capitalized at $30,000.
The Glen Manufacturing Company, manufacturers of gray iron castings, derrick fittings, wire fencing, builders’ iron work, etc., originated in 1902, and started in business in January, 1903. It bought out the Hartman Manufacturing Company, which was established in Ellwood City in 1892. H. S. Blatt serves as president, and A. M. Jones as secretary and treasurer of this company, which is capitalized at $100,000. The Standard Engineering Company, employing about 250 men, is engaged in the manufacture of rolling and tube mill machinery, pipe threading machines, sand rolls and high grade gray iron castings, up to thirty tons weight. It is capitalized at $3,000,000, and its officers are C. D. Coban, president, and H. M. Criswell, secretary and treasurer. The plant was erected in 1902.
Full article ▸