Elverson, Pennsylvania

related topics
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{city, population, household}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Elverson is a borough in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 959 at the 2000 census.

Settled near the region's early iron mines, Elverson is close by Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site; an example of a 19th century iron plantation,.

Contents

History

Elverson's earliest settlers arrived in the late 18th century when the area was known as Springfield. Later dubbed Blue Rock after a deposit of peculiar rocks not far from the town, it remained largely rural until the arrival of the Wilmington and Northern Railroad in 1870. By 1883, the town's population had more than doubled. In 1899, the settlement was named Elverson after James Elverson, owner of the Philadelphia Inquirer, who would later donate a stained glass window to a church there. The Borough of Elverson was officially incorporated on April 17, 1911 from land annexed from West Nantmeal Township and it remained the commercial center of northwestern Chester County through the first half of the 20th century. In 1953 the borough annexed additional land resulting in its current size of about one square mile.

Elverson's building styles follow the periods of its commercial growth and range from early 19th century stone or log buildings to post-railroad Queen Anne structures and 20th century craftsman and Foursquare style houses. Commercial and residential development since the 1950s has occurred largely on the outskirts of the borough's historic center. The Wilmington and Northern Railroad line, later incorporated into the Reading Railroad system, was abandoned and removed in 1983.

Geography

Elverson is located at 40°9′12″N 75°49′51″W / 40.15333°N 75.83083°W / 40.15333; -75.83083 (40.153437, -75.830705).[1]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.0 square miles (2.6 km²), all of it land. The city of Reading is approximately 18 miles north of the Borough.

Adjacent Municipalities

Full article ▸

related documents
Madbury, New Hampshire
Brownfield, Maine
Denmark, Maine
Snow Hill, Maryland
Harrington, Maine
Buckfield, Maine
Cottonport, Louisiana
Broussard, Louisiana
Fairmont, North Carolina
Elmsford, New York
Alstead, New Hampshire
Warwick, Massachusetts
Westernport, Maryland
Willsboro, New York
Hiram, Maine
Plainfield, Massachusetts
Beulah, Mississippi
Nutter Fort, West Virginia
Concord, Massachusetts
New York Mills, New York
Pikeville, North Carolina
Wallingford, Connecticut
Romulus, New York
Lovell, Maine
Ashland, New Hampshire
Newry, Maine
Suffield, Connecticut
Mill Shoals, Illinois
Ocean Bluff-Brant Rock, Massachusetts
Accident, Maryland