Englewood, Colorado

related topics
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{household, population, family}

The City of Englewood is a Home Rule Municipality located in Arapahoe County, Colorado, United States. As of 2007, the city is estimated to have a total population of 32,532.[6] Englewood is part of the Denver-Aurora Metropolitan Area. Englewood is located in the South Platte River Valley east of the Front Range and immediately south of central Denver. Downtown is located immediately east of the confluence of Little Dry Creek and the South Platte River, between Santa Fe Drive and Broadway Street.

Englewood is the 4th most populous city in Arapahoe County and, in 2000, was the 20th most populous city in Colorado.[7]

Contents

History[

The history of Englewood begins when gold was discovered on what came to be called Little Dry Creek by William Green Russell, an early settler of the high plains, in 1858. Two years later, Thomas Skerritt, considered to be the founder of the city, established a home in the area, which was called Orchard Place. Four years later the first road connecting Denver and Orchard Place was created by Skerritt himself using his own plough. In 1879 the first telephone arrived in the area.

1883 was an important year, as it was the year that the Cherrelyn horsecar path was laid. The Cherrelyn trolley was and is an important city icon, being carried up Broadway by horse and down by gravity. 1903 brought incorporation, but Skerritt was edged out by J.C. Jones as the first city mayor. Jones was a prominent landowner, having originally owned almost all of what is now north Englewood. The next two years brought the establishment of the first newspaper in the city, soon to be named the Herald. In 1905 Swedish National Sanitorium was founded, soon to become the massive present-day Swedish Medical Center. 1906 brought the first pavement and street lights, and a year later the police and fire departments were established. In 1908 the famed Cherrelyn horse trolley stopped running.

1948 was a start of a great period of change for the city. 2,500 acres (10 km2) on the Platte Canyon were purchased, and soon McLellan Reservoir was created. This ensured water independence from the powerful Denver Water, and in fact, Englewood provides water to most of the south metro area now due to its vast, early-established water rights. Soon after the city embarked on a huge building boom; most of the city was in fact built up by 1960.

Full article ▸

related documents
Lone Tree, Colorado
Federal Heights, Colorado
Oakland, Florida
Webster, Florida
Yuma, Colorado
Dacono, Colorado
Rocky Ford, Colorado
Florence, Colorado
Northglenn, Colorado
Manitou Springs, Colorado
Key Colony Beach, Florida
Starke, Florida
Brush, Colorado
Wray, Colorado
Sopchoppy, Florida
Macclenny, Florida
Burlington, Colorado
Monte Vista, Colorado
Gretna, Florida
Wimauma, Florida
Belleview, Florida
Jasper, Florida
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Bowling Green, Florida
Holyoke, Colorado
Port St. Joe, Florida
Wewahitchka, Florida
Sawpit, Colorado
Lynn Haven, Florida
Limon, Colorado