Englewood, Ohio

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{area, community, home}
{line, north, south}
{city, large, area}
{math, energy, light}
{build, building, house}
{ship, engine, design}

Englewood, a northern suburb of Dayton, is a city in Montgomery County, Ohio, United States. The population was 12,235 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Dayton Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

Following primarily the path traced through this area by the Stillwater River, a group of settlers founded what is now the City of Englewood on May 6, 1841. These pioneers included Mathias Gish, Daniel Rasor and Samuel Herr. Some of these settlers came from the area around Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and thus named the community Harrisburg. Other residents came from Randolph County, North Carolina, and named this township accordingly.

Harrisburg’s first post office was opened on February 8, 1870, and discontinued on February 6, 1871. The post office was re-established on May 8, 1874, and the first postmaster was Harvey Iams. The town was then renamed Iamton. However, at that time the capital letters I and J were the same in the alphabet and the town became know as Jamton.

In 1898, the local businessmen conducted a contest to choose a new name for the town. The name Englewood was chosen as the winner of that contest and the town of Jamton was renamed Englewood. The Village of Englewood was incorporated on May 15, 1914, and Jacob Hoover was the first mayor. The population had risen to 415 by 1930 and over 600 by 1940. The present population is estimated at nearly 13,000. Englewood became a city in 1971.

Natural gas was made available to the area in 1934, the first water works was built in 1936 and the original sewer system was completed in 1940.

Although Englewood was not actually founded until 1841, many early settlers began to come to the area known as Randolph Township around 1800. Earliest settlers were the families of David Hoover, David Mast, Daniel Hoover, Robert Ewing, John and Abraham McClintock, John Rench, Martin Sheets, Jacob Smith, Daniel and Peter Fetters. Also among the early settlers were the families of the Ellers, Fouts, Frantzs, Wertzs and the Brumbaughs, to mention some. Direct descendants of many of these families reside in the community today. The early settlers made their living basically from agriculture. They shipped grain and bacon down the Stillwater River on flat bottom boats to Dayton and as far south as New Orleans. There was also a considerable amount of industry, including saw mills, gun smithing, wine distilling and pottery manufacturing.

There were many Indians in the area in the early days; however, they were not hostile and traded with the settlers. There was also an abundance of wildlife which afforded good hunting for the settlers’ food requirements.

These early pioneers give us the beginnings of a fine community and it is to them and their descendants that we owe much thanks. It is from them that we have inherited the responsibility to keep the community progressive and viable.

Geography

The coordinates for the city are 39°51′48″N 84°18′15″W / 39.86333°N 84.30417°W / 39.86333; -84.30417 (39.863355, -84.304044).[3]

Full article ▸

related documents
Molalla, Oregon
Country Club Hills, Illinois
Zachary, Louisiana
University Heights, Iowa
Suisun City, California
Farmington, Minnesota
Prospect, Kentucky
Ripley, Tennessee
Oak Ridge North, Texas
Del City, Oklahoma
Fairview, Kansas
Newark, California
Paradise, Texas
Los Ybanez, Texas
Wellman, Iowa
Jonestown, Texas
Elmhurst, Illinois
Marlette, Michigan
Spanish Fort, Alabama
Russell, Kentucky
Grand Terrace, California
Ankeny, Iowa
Mill Creek, Washington
Huntington Park, California
Lacy Lakeview, Texas
Cranston, Rhode Island
Harker Heights, Texas
Westwood Hills, Kansas
Roy, Washington
Orange Grove, Texas