Eufaula, Alabama

related topics
{land, century, early}
{war, force, army}
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{specie, animal, plant}
{day, year, event}
{town, population, incorporate}
{county, mile, population}
{line, north, south}
{village, small, smallsup}

Eufaula is a city in Barbour County, Alabama, United States. At the 2000 census the population was 13,908.

Contents

Geography

Eufaula is located at 31°53'21.732" North, 85°9'13.586" West (31.889370, -85.153774).[1]

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 73.5 square miles (190.3 km²), of which, 59.4 square miles (153.9 km²) of it is land and 14.1 square miles (36.4 km²) of it (19.13%) is water. It sits on a reservoir called Walter F. George Lake, or just Lake Eufaula to locals.

History

Beginning no later than 1733, the site along the Chattahoochee River that is now modern-day Eufaula was occupied by three Creek Indian tribes of the Muscogee Nation. The most dominant of the three, and most open to contact with whites, was named "the Eufaulas" (pronounced "you-fall-uhs.") In 1823, families from Georgia, looking for fertile crop land, established a permanent white settlement on the high bluffs of the area and adopted the Creek village's name.

General William Irwin, a hero of the War of 1812, was granted several thousand acres of land in nearby Henry County. One of the most prosperous men in the area, he served as its first State Senator. With his influence, he promoted the area's development and established the first steamboat wharf along Eufaula's high bluffs. This set the stage for the town's rise to prominence as a center of trade. In his honor, Eufaula was renamed the city of "Irwinton."

Attracted by the area's rich soil, and further encouraged by the opening of the Federal Road, white settlers swarmed the area. Due to the Treaty of Cusseta, in 1832, the Creeks were forced to abandon their land rights in the area and Barbour County was incorporated. The Creeks were reconsolidated with others tribes in Muscogee Nation in upper Florida, thus leaving their native homeland forever.

In 1834, U.S. Army Captain Seth Lore and others developed what is now the downtown area, naming the four main north-south avenues "Livingston," "Orange," "Randolph," and "Eufaula" (L-O-R-E.) The Seth Lore and Irwinton Historic District of Eufaula now encompasses much of the oldest part of the city. In late 1843, the town was re-named "Eufaula," because the mail was constantly misdirected to Irwinton, Georgia.

Full article ▸

related documents
Juan Bautista de Anza
Fort Stockton, Texas
Rochester, New Hampshire
Tuscarora (tribe)
Juan Ponce de León
Francisco de Orellana
Sandwich, Kent
Augusta, Maine
Winona, Minnesota
Meadville, Pennsylvania
Presidio, Texas
West Sacramento, California
Lexington, South Carolina
New Sweden
Dutch West India Company
Wyandot
Nez Perce
Thomas Cavendish
Tongva
Saco, Maine
Henry Hudson
Mission San Diego de Alcalá
Morrison County, Minnesota
Indian slavery
Little Chute, Wisconsin
Statesville, North Carolina
Ashe County, North Carolina
Wrangell, Alaska
Spanish Fork, Utah
Bessemer City, North Carolina