Flat Rock, Michigan

related topics
{city, population, household}
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{town, population, incorporate}
{company, market, business}
{film, series, show}
{village, small, smallsup}
{school, student, university}
{album, band, music}

Flat Rock is a city in Wayne County of the U.S. state of Michigan. A very small portion of the city extends into Monroe County, this because the border along the Huron River follows the course of the river in 1923 when it was incorporated as a village, it had two meanders, they have since been filled in. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 8,488. Flat Rock is home to the AutoAlliance International manufacturing plant, co-owned by Ford Motor Company and Mazda Motor Corporation. As of 2005 it produces the Mazda 6 and the 5th generation Ford Mustang. Also, Flat Rock is home to the famous Flat Rock Speedway, though the track is technically located in Berlin Charter Township in neighboring Monroe County.

Contents

History

Flat Rock began as a Wyandot settlement. It was later designated as a reservation for the Wyandot, and still functioned as such in 1830.[3]

The first Euro-American settlers in Flat Rock were Michael Vreeland and his five grown sons between 1811 and 1820. Michael had been captured by British Rangers during the Revolutionary War and released after American independence. The family purchased 800 acres (3.2 km2) The town was called the Village of Vreeland until 1838 when the Vreeland family sold off the majority of the land, and relinquished control of the area. The Vreeland families built the first grain and lumber mill, having brought the grinding stones from New York. Descendents of Michael Vreeland still live in the town, and attend Flat Rock public schools, being the seventh generation to reside in the town their family founded.

The first mention of any settlers in the area later to become Flat Rock was made by a French Priest named Father Jean Dilhet. In describing his parish in 1798 he included "Grosse Roche", referring to a settlement named after the outcropping of limestone rock on the south side of the Huron River.

In 1818, a land office opened in Detroit and Soloman Sibley purchased 330.93 acres (1.3392 km2) of land. In 1824 it was sold to Michael and Jaob Vreeland. The Villages of Vreelandt and Smooth Rock were platted on part of this acreage. At this time there were Huron, Seneca, and Wyandot Indian villages in the area.

Full article ▸

related documents
Weimar, Texas
Jasper, Texas
Lehi, Utah
Seneca, South Carolina
Bastrop, Texas
Coalville, Utah
Pipestone, Minnesota
Long Beach, Mississippi
Warren, Pennsylvania
Sidney, Montana
Rainier, Oregon
Crockett, Texas
Springfield, Oregon
Stephenville, Texas
Weir, Texas
New Haven, Missouri
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Shaniko, Oregon
Vicksburg, Mississippi
Morganton, North Carolina
Chadron, Nebraska
White House, Tennessee
Jacksonville, Oregon
Washington, Missouri
Reidsville, North Carolina
Holts Summit, Missouri
Noblesville, Indiana
Mechanicville, New York
Princeton, Minnesota
Hopkinsville, Kentucky