Floyd County, Virginia

related topics
{household, population, female}
{county, mile, population}
{line, north, south}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{album, band, music}
{group, member, jewish}
{theory, work, human}
{day, year, event}
{town, population, incorporate}
{water, park, boat}
{island, water, area}
{church, century, christian}
{system, computer, user}

Floyd County is a county located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. As of the 2000 census, the population was 13,874. Its county seat is Floyd[1].

Contents

History

Floyd County's recorded history begins with the arrival of traders, trappers and hunters in Southwest Virginia in the 18th century. The earliest known travel way through present day Floyd County was the Trader's Path, running from East to West across the Roanoke River where Back Creek enters the river, by John Mason's, R. Poage's, the headwaters of Back Creek and Southwest over Bent Mountain. The trail continued westward through the Little River area to the Lead Mines.

The first known attempts to settle the area appear to have been made during the 1740s. In 1745 the Virginia Council granted James Patton, of Augusta County among others, 100,000 acres (400 km²) on the New River and the westward flowing waters, including the Little River area. In 1749 the Royal Company of Virginia also received a grant on the westward flowing waters, putting the two companies in competition with one another to settle the area. The first surveying of the land occurred in the late 1740s.

On January 15, 1831, the General Assembly of Virginia passed an act creating the present county of Floyd out of the county Montgomery. The new county was named for the then Governor of Virginia, John Floyd. The new county's courthouse was completed in 1834. In 1870 a portion of Franklin County was added to Floyd County. The first Commonwealth's Attorney was William Ballard Preston, a nephew of John Floyd, who would later serve as Secretary of the United States Navy. Preston was followed in later years by Jubal Early, who would later serve as a general for the Confederate Army.

The county seat of Floyd County was first called Jacksonville for Andrew Jackson, seventh President of the United States (1829–1837). Jacksonville was first incorporated in 1858 and then re-incorporated on February 19, 1892 to expand the town boundaries. On January 23, 1896, the General Assembly passed an Act officially changing the name of the Town of Jacksonville to the town of Floyd.

The county became a destination for those involved in the counterculture during the 1960s and 1970s particularly those who wanted to live in closer contact with nature. In the late 1990s, the Rivendell community was established by a group of Christians so they could practice a lifestyle consistent with their Reformed Churches interpretations of the Bible and also, in part, to be better isolated from possible societal disruptions caused by the Y2K computer problem. Nonetheless, the county's location directly adjacent to both the Roanoke and the Blacksburg-Christiansburg-Radford Metropolitan Statistical Areas have contributed to modest population growth in contrast to most rural counties in Southwest Virginia. Several bloggers live in the county and frequently post observations about the community and its rural setting.

Full article ▸

related documents
Cherokee County, Georgia
Windham County, Connecticut
Highland County, Virginia
Cherokee County, North Carolina
Lake County, Oregon
Santa Rosa County, Florida
Brantley County, Georgia
Rockingham County, Virginia
Collin County, Texas
Greenup County, Kentucky
Perry County, Illinois
Jackson County, Colorado
Jersey County, Illinois
Willacy County, Texas
Greene County, North Carolina
Liberty County, Texas
Weld County, Colorado
Umatilla County, Oregon
Lake County, Illinois
Carroll County, Georgia
Laurel County, Kentucky
Baldwin County, Georgia
Grundy County, Iowa
Bedford County, Tennessee
Polk County, Oregon
Breckinridge County, Kentucky
Coos County, New Hampshire
Barren County, Kentucky
Newton County, Arkansas
Greene County, Arkansas