Forest Hills, Tennessee

related topics
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{line, north, south}
{build, building, house}
{city, population, household}
{work, book, publish}
{household, population, female}
{rate, high, increase}
{son, year, death}
{food, make, wine}
{math, number, function}
{company, market, business}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}


Forest Hills is a city in Davidson County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 4,710 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

Forest Hills is generally bordered by Old Hickory Blvd. which serves as a veritable dividing line between Davidson County and Williamson County, Granny White Pike, Harding Pike (which is also known as Harding Lane or Battery Lane) and Hillsboro Pike (also known as Hillsboro Rd.). The Forest Hills district is not an exact square, so of course, there are a few extra twists and turns in the road to this equation. The city hall is not located within city limits, as it is located in the Green Hills area of Nashville.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 9.3 square miles (24.0 km²), all of it land.

Like its neighbor, Belle Meade, it has distinct signage covenants concering land size and use. Forest Hills is considered a "satellite city" of Nashville and residents do not receive access to all city-county combined services, taking financial responsibility for many services like garbage collection on their own. Forest Hills is known for its beautiful, immaculately kept homes, winding roads, foliage and wildlife.

The area was developed as a suburb of Nashville in the wake of the post-World War II population and economic boom. Forest Hills was born as a result of the ensuing conflicts between suburban residents and Nashville city government as Nashville struggled to deal with the ramifications of suburban growth.

As its name implies, Forest Hills is composed primarily of steep wooded hills, many of which are one thousand feet above sea level. These steepsided hills were covered with forest until the early 20th century, when residential development extended south from Nashville. Several hills have water towers and cellular towers, and the WSIX radio tower is located on a 1,114 foot hill north of Old Hickory Boulevard. In addition to the area’s many hills, the south-central section of the community contains what was originally fertile farmland within the Otter Creek watershed. This area supported numerous small farms during the 19th and early 20th century.

Nashville has enjoyed prosperity and growth during the past several decades, which is reflected in the development of Forest Hills. Since 1970, hundreds of dwellings have been built in Forest Hills, and the community no longer retains many tracts of open space or farmland. Most dwellings are sited on parcels of 1 acre (4,000 m2) to 2 acres (8,100 m2), and only a small number of houses are located on tracts of 10 acres (40,000 m2) or more. Several of the community’s hills and ridges — such as the properties along Laurel Ridge Drive and Fredericksburg Drive — also have been developed in recent decades.

The growth and development of Forest Hills has resulted in the loss of most of the community’s 18th and 19th century dwellings. Only a handful of properties dating from this early period remain extant. One of the most notable of these is the McCrory-Mayfield House at 1280 Old Hickory Boulevard, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. This twostory log dwelling was built ca. 1798 and is the oldest remaining dwelling in Forest Hills.

Although 19th century dwellings are rare, Forest Hills contains a number of significant houses built in the early 20th century. With improvements in automobiles and road systems, this section of Davidson County became a preferred area for country estates by the 1920s. Properties built along Hillsboro Pike mirrored those built in nearby Belle Meade as West Nashville became home to the area’s most prosperous businessmen and professionals. Representative of this type of rural country home is Longleat at 5819 Hillsboro Pike, which was completed in 1932 as the home of insurance executive Thomas Tyne. Longleat was listed on the National Register in 1984 for its architectural significance. Another 20th century home is the “Hibbettage” at 2160 Old Hickory Boulevard. Built in 1939, this two-story brick dwelling was constructed as a replica of the Hermitage; it was listed on the National Register in 1998 for its architectural significance.

Full article ▸

related documents
Northern California
History of Victoria
Oregon Trail
Gloucester County, Virginia
Roanoke Colony
Sioux
Dutch colonization of the Americas
Indian removal
Plantation
New Amsterdam
Acadia
Washougal, Washington
Natchez, Mississippi
Robeson County, North Carolina
Talbot County, Maryland
Sand Lake, New York
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
Sevierville, Tennessee
Winchester, Virginia
Spanish colonization of the Americas
Francisco Vázquez de Coronado
Jacques Cartier
Guaraní
Union Parish, Louisiana
Newport, Tennessee
Mount Sinai, New York
Pilgrims
William Kidd
Hutterite
California Gold Rush