Fort Carson

related topics
{service, military, aircraft}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{war, force, army}
{household, population, female}
{mi², represent, 1st}
{water, park, boat}
{city, population, household}
{food, make, wine}
{line, north, south}
{black, white, people}
{household, population, family}

Fort Carson is a United States Army installation located immediately south of Colorado Springs, primarily in El Paso County, Colorado. It is 30 miles north of Pueblo, Colorado in Pueblo County. The 137,000 acre (570 km²) installation extends south into Pueblo and Fremont counties. The portion of the installation located within El Paso County forms a census-designated place (CDP), which had a population of 10,566 at the 2000 census.[1] Fort Carson is the home of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Brigade Combat Teams of the 4th Infantry Division, the 10th Special Forces Group, the 71st Ordnance Group (EOD), the 4th Engineer Battalion, the 759th Military Police Battalion, the 10th Combat Support Hospital, the 43rd Sustainment Brigade, and the 13th Air Support Operations Squadron of the United States Air Force. The post also hosts units of the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve and the Colorado Army National Guard.

Contents

History

Fort Carson was established in 1942, following Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. The city of Colorado Springs, Colorado purchased land south of the city and donated it to the War Department. Construction began immediately and the first building, the camp headquarters, was completed January 31, 1942. Camp Carson was named in honor of the legendary Army scout, General Christopher "Kit" Carson, who explored much of the West in the 1800s.

At the construction's peak, nearly 11,500 workers were employed on various construction projects at the new camp. Facilities were provided for 35,173 enlisted men, 1,818 officers and 592 nurses. Nearly all of the buildings were of mobilization type construction, with wood sided exteriors. The hospital complex was constructed of concrete block, and considered to be semi-permanent, and had space for 1,726 beds, expandable to 2,000 beds. The 89th Infantry Division was the first major unit to be activated at Camp Carson. During World War II, over 100,000 soldiers trained at Camp Carson. Along with three other infantry divisions - the 71st Infantry Division, 104th Infantry Division and 10th Mountain Division–more than 125 units were activated at Camp Carson and more than 100 others were transferred to the Mountain post from other installations.

Full article ▸

related documents
Military of the Republic of Macedonia
Military of Colombia
Tonga Defence Services
Military of Bangladesh
Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force
Military of Ghana
Military of Puerto Rico
Military of Egypt
New Zealand Defence Force
Strategic Air Command
Lew Allen
Private (rank)
Bronze Star Medal
Uganda People's Defence Force
Adelaide Airport
Office of Strategic Services
John Glenn
Charter airline
Military of Fiji
Military of Moldova
Beale Air Force Base
Grand Forks Air Force Base
Military of Mali
Corporate title
Treaty on Open Skies
Military of Paraguay
Madrid Barajas International Airport
Robins Air Force Base
Fort Rucker
Offutt Air Force Base