Fort George G. Meade

related topics
{service, military, aircraft}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{work, book, publish}
{rate, high, increase}
{land, century, early}
{acid, form, water}
{war, force, army}
{church, century, christian}

Map of all coordinates from Bing

Fort George G. Meade, located adjacent to Odenton, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County, is an active U.S. Army installation. The fort, established in 1917, is named for General George Gordon Meade, a Union Army general in the American Civil War. It covers 5,067 acres (20.51 km2) in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

Fort Meade is also home to Meade Senior High School, MacArthur Middle School, Meade Middle School and the National Cryptologic Museum.

Contents

History

Fort Meade was established in 1917 when the United States Department of War acquired 19,000 acres (77 kmĀ²) of land west of Odenton to develop a training camp. First known as Camp Annapolis Junction, the fort was named Camp Admiral at its opening in 1917. Other name changes occurred after construction of 1,460 buildings on the site when it became Camp George Gordon Meade. In the 1920s it became Fort Leonard Wood. By the 1930s it reverted back to Fort George G. Meade.[citation needed]

Fort Meade was used as a basic training post and a prisoner of war camp during World War II. In the 1950s, the post became headquarters of the National Security Agency (NSA). The post was scheduled to close in the 1990s, but was kept open to support the NSA. Today, Ft. Meade is often used as a metonym for the NSA.[citation needed]

USAF use

The former United States Army long-range radar station W-13DC (built to support the Nike air-defense missile system of the Washington-Baltimore Defense Area) became operational as an Air Force station RP-54 on 1 October 1961 when the USAF assumed control of the AN/FPS-67 search radar, and installed one each AN/FPS-6 and AN/FPS-6B height-finder radars by 1962. (The Army also operated a pair of AN/FPS-6 variant radars). Fort Meade was both an AN/FSG-l Missile-Master and later AN/GSG-5(V) BIRDIE Radar Direction Center. W-13DC was the first Missile-Master DC to become operational.[citation needed]

Full article ▸

related documents
Majed Moqed
Hector International Airport
Iron Range National Park
Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
Military of Turkmenistan
Armed Forces of El Salvador
Military of Bolivia
Military of Qatar
Special Air Service
Distinguished Service Medal (Army)
Military of Tunisia
Military of Mongolia
Vern Clark
Military of Comoros
Chris Hadfield
Skyservice
Commandant of the Marine Corps
Military of the Dominican Republic
Military of Monaco
Military of Mauritania
Military of Madagascar
Military of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Military of Cameroon
Royal Armoured Corps
Hapag-Lloyd Flug
Prinair
United States Army School of Advanced Military Studies
United States Department of Health and Human Services
Military of Suriname
National Communications System