Fort Johnson, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{village, small, smallsup}
{woman, child, man}
{city, population, household}

Fort Johnson, formerly known as Akin, is a village in Montgomery County, New York, United States. The population was 491 at the 2000 census.[1]

The Village of Fort Johnson is in the south part of the town of Amsterdam, west of the city of Amsterdam.

Contents

History

Around 1710, early Palatinate Germans began attempting settlement in the town, but in 1716, the natives sold a portion of the land now in the easterm part of the Town of Amsterdam to Philip Groat. This part of New York was part of the original Mohawk domain. In 1739, William Johnson, previously residing closer to Amsterdam, purchased land including the site of the village and established a mill in 1744. The original name used was "Mount Johnson."

The community was the original seat of power of William Johnson before he moved on to found the City of Johnstown. His home is still preserved as Old Fort Johnson. Johnson was particularly an ally of the Mohawk and was married to a woman of the tribe, along with other women.

Geography

Fort Johnson is located at 42°57′30″N 74°14′10″W / 42.95833°N 74.23611°W / 42.95833; -74.23611 (42.958303, -74.236018)[2].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.2 km²), of which, 0.7 square miles (1.9 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 km²) of it (11.90%) is water.

The village is on the north bank of the Mohawk River at the influx of the Kayaderosseras Creek [of Montgomery County - not Saratoga Counties infamous Creek]. Pepper Island in the Mohawk River is south of the village.

New York State Route 5, an east-west highway, passes through the south part of the village, where it is joined by New York State Route 67, Fort Johnson Avenue.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 491 people, 198 households, and 139 families residing in the village. The population density was 659.8 people per square mile (256.2/km²). There were 220 housing units at an average density of 295.6/sq mi (114.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.17% White, 0.61% African American, 0.20% Native American, and 1.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.04% of the population.[1]

Full article ▸

related documents
Newcastle, Maine
Lubec, Maine
Boothbay, Maine
Blauvelt, New York
McVeytown, Pennsylvania
Webb, New York
San Ignacio, Texas
Northwest Harbor, New York
Morrill, Nebraska
North Smithfield, Rhode Island
Algood, Tennessee
Orderville, Utah
South Glens Falls, New York
Port Henry, New York
Springport, New York
Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
West Bloomfield, New York
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
Hancock, Maine
Asharoken, New York
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
LaFayette, New York
Red Creek, New York
Sylvan Beach, New York
Ontario, New York
La Barge, Wyoming
Ballston, New York
Smithfield, Virginia
Chester, Warren County, New York
Nokesville, Virginia