Fort Plain, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{village, small, smallsup}
{line, north, south}
{area, community, home}
{game, team, player}
{woman, child, man}
{build, building, house}
{area, part, region}

Fort Plain is a village in Montgomery County, New York, United States. As of the 2000 census, the village population was 2,288. The village is named after a fort built during the American Revolution.

The village of Fort Plain is at the border of the Towns of Minden and Canajoharie and is west of Amsterdam.

Because of its small size and the close connections with neighboring communities, some former residents who now live in more populous regions use Fort Plain to refer collectively to the actual village of Fort Plain and the surrounding villages of Nelliston, Canajoharie, and Palatine Bridge.

Contents

History

The village is in a region where a branch of the Mohawk had four major villages. In 1738, the governor of New York built a stone house for the use of his sons. Other early settlers included Palatinate Germans.

The village is built at the foot of the hill where the fort once stood.it was a Revolutionary War fort. The fort was constructed in 1776 and a blockhouse was maintained here throughout the war. While many of the village's men were fighting elsewhere, the women, dressed as men, were able to fend off Indian attacks by manning the walls of the fort.

Fort Plain became an incorporated village in 1832. The opening of the Erie Canal was an economic boom. It became a center of manufacturing during the Nineteenth century for textiles and furniture.

Fort Plain is also the birthplace of the first black professional baseball player, Bud Fowler. Fowler appeared in an exhibition game with a team from Lynn, Iowa in 1878, 68 years before Jackie Robinson played in a professional baseball game.

Fort Plain is also home to a large number of Amish and now, Montgomery County has one of the largest populations of Amish in the country.

Geography

Fort Plain is located at 42°55′51″N 74°37′29″W / 42.930846°N 74.624799°W / 42.930846; -74.624799.[1]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.7 km2), of which, 1.4 square miles (3.5 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.1 km2) of it (3.55%) is water.

The village is located on the south bank of the Mohawk River, where the Otsquago Creek' enters the Mohawk. The Erie Canal, using the Mohawk River, is adjacent to the village. The Village of Nelliston is on the opposite shore of the river.

Full article ▸

related documents
Porter, Maine
Hebron, Maine
Triana, Alabama
Bowdoin, Maine
Snowville, Utah
Liberty, Maine
Blauvelt, New York
Mamou, Louisiana
Fort Johnson, New York
Springport, New York
Hancock, Maine
Bolton, Massachusetts
Freedom, Maine
Fonda, New York
Manteno, Illinois
Tumacacori-Carmen, Arizona
Huntley, Montana
Port Royal, Virginia
Twisp, Washington
Berne, New York
San Elizario, Texas
McVeytown, Pennsylvania
Equality, Illinois
Kittrell, North Carolina
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
Halls, Tennessee
Dupo, Illinois
Orderville, Utah
Lake Providence, Louisiana
Northwest Harbor, New York