Fridley, Minnesota

related topics
{city, population, household}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{area, part, region}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{city, large, area}
{film, series, show}
{day, year, event}
{township, household, population}
{water, park, boat}
{food, make, wine}
{law, state, case}
{village, small, smallsup}
{county, mile, population}
{town, population, incorporate}
{island, water, area}

Fridley is a city in Anoka County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 27,449 at the 2000 census. It was incorporated in 1949 as a village and became a city in 1957. It is part of the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area. Fridley is a "first ring" or "inner ring" suburb in the Northern part of the Twin Cities. It borders Minneapolis at its southern border. Neighboring first ring suburbs are Columbia Heights and Brooklyn Center.

Contents

History

The post-European/American settlement history of Fridley begins with the construction of the Red River Ox Cart Trail in 1844, which traveled through Minnesota Territory from St. Paul (present day Minnesota) to Pembina (present day North Dakota), now East River Road (also Anoka County Highway 1). The road was used to transport furs to the south and other various supplies to the Red River Valley settlers in the north.

In 1847, John Banfill became the first settler in the area, which was known at the time as Manomin. Manomin is a variant spelling of manoomin, the Ojibwe word for wild rice, a staple of their diet. It comprised the modern-day municipalities of Columbia Heights, Fridley, Hilltop, and Spring Lake Park.

The area soon grew quickly in size. In 1851, Banfill platted the actual town of Manomin. There, a general store and sawmill were built next to the Rice Creek, named after Henry Mower Rice, a settler who just two years earlier had acquired a lot of land in the area. In 1853, the town got its first post office, and a year later, a ferry crossing the Mississippi River was established.

In 1855, Abram M. Fridley, for whom the city is named, was elected as the first territorial representative for the area.

In 1857, the area separated from Ramsey County; Manomin County was established, and it became the smallest county in the United States, having only 18 sections. This distinction was short lived, after it was annexed by Anoka County in 1870 and became a township with the same name.

Full article ▸

related documents
Estacada, Oregon
Bunker Hill Village, Texas
Moore, Oklahoma
Spring Valley Village, Texas
Princeton, Indiana
Jacinto City, Texas
Eyota, Minnesota
Terrell Hills, Texas
Golden Valley, Minnesota
Chapman, Kansas
Manassas Park, Virginia
Jamaica Beach, Texas
Arnold, Pennsylvania
Freeport, Illinois
Joaquin, Texas
Vernal, Utah
Millen, Georgia
Douglas, Wyoming
Hills, Minnesota
Greenville, Mississippi
Osceola, Iowa
Rexburg, Idaho
Webster, Texas
Macon, Missouri
Sweet Springs, Missouri
Hedwig Village, Texas
Adams, Nebraska
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
Roosevelt, Utah
Hendricks, Minnesota