Glen Burnie, Maryland

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, community, home}
{county, mile, population}
{land, century, early}
{household, population, family}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{build, building, house}

Glen Burnie is a census-designated place (CDP) in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States, and is a suburb of Baltimore. The population was 38,922 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

The groundwork for Glen Burnie was laid in 1812, when a district attorney by the name of Elias Glenn established a county seat near what is currently known as Brooklyn Park. He named his property "Glennsburne".

The name was changed to "Glennsbourne Farm", and eventually "Glenburnie", as the property was passed through Glenn's descendants. Records also show the name as "Tracey's Station" and "Myrtle", after local postmaster Samuel Sewell Tracey and one of Tracey's boarders, before the final decision was made.

In 1854, William Wilkins Glenn, Elias Glenn's grandson, incorporated the Curtis Creek Mining, Furnace and Manufacturing Company into his family's property. The business flourished during the 19th century, and with it came several thousand acres of land in northern Anne Arundel County.

Upon the death of William Wilkins Glenn, his son, brother and nephew began to manage the family's business affairs, and Glenburnie became an official state subdivision in 1888. The Glenn family contracted George T. Melvin and Henry S. Mancha to lay out and promote the town. It would not be until 1930 that postmaster Louis J. DeAlba decided two words were better than one, and gave the town a final name change to the current Glen Burnie.

Building through history

Among the earliest Glen Burnie schools was First Avenue Elementary, built in 1899. The oldest area church is St. Alban's Episcopal, which was built in 1904, with many of its bricks dating back to Marley Chapel, an early Maryland parish from the 1730s. Crain Highway, one of Glen Burnie's main thoroughfares (named after State Senator Robert Crain), opened in 1927 and Ritchie Highway (Maryland Route 2, named for ex-Governor Albert C. Ritchie) followed in 1939. Ritchie Highway carried nearly all Baltimore-area traffic headed for Annapolis and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge until an alternate bypass road, Interstate 97, opened in the 1980s. [Prior to the 1980s,] Until 1950 the Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad provided both passenger and freight service from Annapolis to Baltimore; passenger service ended in February 1950 due to increased competition from buses and private automobiles, but freight service continued until Hurricane Agnes did so much damage to a trestle crossing the Severn River in Annapolis that the trestle was condemned for use by trains by the Army Corps of Engineers in the late 1960s (The trestle remained as a haven for fishermen and crabbers until it was dismantled). [it was served by the now-defunct Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad's line between Baltimore and Annapolis, Maryland]. North Glen Burnie is now served by the Baltimore Light Rail system's Cromwell/Glen Burnie station.

Full article ▸

related documents
Ringwood, Illinois
Flanagan, Illinois
Prosper, Texas
Bladensburg, Maryland
Corral City, Texas
Richfield, Ohio
Holley, New York
Malverne Park Oaks, New York
Harpersville, Alabama
Caledonia, Illinois
Nelsonville, New York
Cherry Hill Mall, New Jersey
Thomaston, Alabama
Bernville, Pennsylvania
South Deerfield, Massachusetts
Oriskany Falls, New York
Saltaire, New York
Higganum
Englewood, Florida
Sagaponack, New York
Smithsburg, Maryland
Converse, Indiana
Hazel Green, Alabama
Berlin, Maryland
Fenwick Island, Delaware
Okemos, Michigan
Branford Center
Dublin, Pennsylvania
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Discovery Bay, California