Gloversville, New York

related topics
{city, population, household}
{land, century, early}
{city, large, area}
{area, community, home}
{@card@, make, design}
{film, series, show}
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{line, north, south}
{school, student, university}
{village, small, smallsup}

Gloversville is a city in Fulton County, New York, that was once the hub of America's glovemaking industry with over two hundred manufacturers in Gloversville and Johnstown.[citation needed] In 2000, Gloversville had a population of 15,413.[5]

Contents

History

The region, known as "Kingsborough" was acquired by Sir William Johnson. In 1752, Arent Stevens bought land. Puritans from New England settled there at the end of the 18th century. The proximity of forests to supply bark for tanning made the community a center of leather production early in its history. It earned its name for being the center of the American glove making industry for many years. Upon the establishment of a United States Post Office in 1828, Gloversville became the official name of the community.[citation needed] In 1890-1950, 90 percent of all gloves sold in the United States were made in Gloversville.[6]

Large tanneries and glove shops employed nearly 80% of the residents of Gloversville and environs. Home workers sewed the gloves from leather that had been cut in factories. Related businesses, such as box makers, sewing machine repairmen, and thread dealers opened to serve the industry.

In 1853, Gloversville incorporated as a village. In 1890, it incorporated as a city.[2]

Until 1936, Gloversville had a very active electric interurban line, the Fonda, Johnstown, and Gloversville. It ran from Gloversville, through Johnstown, along the Mohawk River to Amsterdam, then to Scotia, then across the Mohawk River, and into downtown Schenectady to the New York Central station. In 1932 in a bold move during the Great Depression it acquired unique Bullet cars in an attempt to revive business. Passenger service ended in 1936, but freight operation continued.[7]

Full article ▸

related documents
Red Wing, Minnesota
Burnet, Texas
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Mitchell, South Dakota
LaGrange, Georgia
Nederland, Texas
Sidney, Montana
Payson, Utah
Clarksburg, West Virginia
Weimar, Texas
Mountlake Terrace, Washington
Ogdensburg, New York
Mount Airy, North Carolina
Princeton, Minnesota
Jasper, Texas
Goose Creek, South Carolina
Warren, Pennsylvania
Brookings, South Dakota
Checotah, Oklahoma
Springfield, Oregon
Camden, Tennessee
Duncan, Oklahoma
Schenectady, New York
Estacada, Oregon
Durant, Oklahoma
American Fork, Utah
De Smet, South Dakota
South Burlington, Vermont
Maza, North Dakota
Lehi, Utah