Goffstown, New Hampshire

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{island, water, area}
{land, century, early}
{school, student, university}
{line, north, south}
{town, population, incorporate}
{city, large, area}
{water, park, boat}
{township, household, population}
{black, white, people}
{village, small, smallsup}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}

Goffstown is a town in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 16,929 at the 2000 census. The 2009 population was estimated to be 17,817.[2] Goffstown includes the villages of Grasmere and Pinardville. The town is home to Saint Anselm College (and its New Hampshire Institute of Politics) and the New Hampshire State Prison for Women.

Contents

History

Prior to the arrival of European settlers, the area was frequented by Native Americans due to its ample fish population.[3]

The town was first granted as "Narragansett No. 4" in 1734 by Colonial Governor Jonathan Belcher of Massachusetts, which then held authority over New Hampshire. It was one of seven townships intended for soldiers (or their heirs) who had fought in the "Narragansett War" of 1675, also known as King Philip's War. In 1735, however, some grantees "found it so poor and barren as to be altogether incapable of making settlements," and were instead granted a tract in Greenwich, Massachusetts.

The community would be called "Piscataquog Village" and "Shovestown" before being regranted by Masonian proprietor Governor Benning Wentworth in 1748 to new settlers, including Rev. Thomas Parker of Dracut and Colonel John Goffe, for whom the town was named. It received its act of incorporation June 16, 1761, under the name of Goffstown,[3] which was conferred on it in honor of Colonel John Goffe, for several years a resident of Bedford, and the first judge of probate in the county of Hillsborough. A large part of the town was originally covered with valuable timber; and this being a good locality for fish, lumbering and fishing were the main occupations of the early settlers.[3] The village of Grasmere was named for Grasmere, England, home of poets William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Full article ▸

related documents
Glastenbury, Vermont
Westfield, Illinois
Olla, Louisiana
Ivor, Virginia
Winsted, Connecticut
East Bend, North Carolina
Estherwood, Louisiana
Deer Park, Maryland
St. Helen, Michigan
Bradshaw, McDowell County, West Virginia
Newport, North Carolina
Washingtonville, Pennsylvania
Laurium, Michigan
Wheelock, Vermont
McDermitt, Nevada-Oregon
Sugar Hill, New Hampshire
Greenville, Pennsylvania
Kelso, Missouri
Ambler, Pennsylvania
Northwood, New Hampshire
Morganza, Louisiana
Matewan, West Virginia
Castle Shannon, Pennsylvania
Marianna, Pennsylvania
Calera, Oklahoma
Bullard, Texas
Canyon City, Oregon
Colonial Beach, Virginia
East Bank, West Virginia
New Boston, New Hampshire