Golders Green

related topics
{city, large, area}
{area, community, home}
{film, series, show}
{build, building, house}
{church, century, christian}
{album, band, music}
{group, member, jewish}
{day, year, event}
{line, north, south}
{country, population, people}
{car, race, vehicle}
{specie, animal, plant}

Coordinates: 51°34′24″N 0°11′54″W / 51.5734°N 0.1982°W / 51.5734; -0.1982

Golders Green is an area in the London Borough of Barnet in London, England. Although having some earlier history, it is essentially a 19th century suburban development situated about 5.3 miles (8.5 km) north west of Charing Cross and centred on the crossroads of Golders Green Road and Finchley Road.

In the early 20th century it grew rapidly in response to the opening here of a tube station of the London Underground, which at this point is above ground. It has a wide variety of housing and a busy main shopping street, Golders Green Road. The area is noted especially for its large Jewish population.

Contents

History

The name Golders comes from a family named Godyere who lived in the area and Green alludes to the manorial waste the settlement was built on.[1] Golders Green has been a place in the parish and manor of Hendon since around the 13th century. The earliest references to the name of the adjacent district of "Temple Fortune" is on a map (c. 1754). However this name reveals a much earlier history. It is likely that the name refers to the Knights of St John, who had land here (c. 1240). Fortune may be derived from a small settlement (tun) on the route from Hampstead to Hendon. Here a lane from Finchley, called Ducksetters Lane (c. 1475), intersected. It is likely that the settlement was originally the Bleccanham estate (c. 10th century). By the end of the 18th century Temple Fortune Farm was established on the northern side of Farm Close.

The building of Finchley Road (c. 1827) replaced Ducksetters Lane as a route to Finchley, and resulted in the development of a small hamlet. Hendon Park Row (c. 1860s) is of this period, and consisted of around thirty small dwellings built by a George Stevens, which were, with two exceptions, demolished (c. 1956). A small dame school and prayer house run by Anglican deaconesses existed in the 1890s and 1900s, and developed to become St. Barnabas (1915). Along Finchley Road were a number of villas (c. 1830s), joined by the Royal Oak public house (c. 1850s). By the end of the 19th century there were around 300 people living in the area, which included a laundry and a small hospital for children with skin diseases. The principal industry was brick making.

Full article ▸

related documents
Witham
Notting Hill
Edmonds, Washington
London Borough of Haringey
Kajang (Malaysia)
Holloway, London
Lusaka
Wilmington, Ohio
Willesden
Acton, London
Minot, North Dakota
Camden, New Jersey
Oneida, New York
Dewsbury
Kauniainen
Blackheath, London
Columbus, Georgia
Palmers Green
London Borough of Hackney
Fulham
Champs-Élysées
Transport in France
Odense
London Borough of Waltham Forest
Castleford
Katoomba, New South Wales
Lilongwe
Innsbruck
Alpena, Michigan
Belmopan