Granite, Oregon

related topics
{build, building, house}
{day, year, event}
{city, population, household}
{black, white, people}
{household, population, female}
{son, year, death}
{island, water, area}
{government, party, election}
{@card@, make, design}
{water, park, boat}
{woman, child, man}
{law, state, case}
{food, make, wine}
{god, call, give}
{household, population, family}
{town, population, incorporate}
{service, military, aircraft}
{theory, work, human}

Granite is a city located in Grant County, Oregon, United States.

First established by miners after the discovery of gold July 4, 1862, the community was originally called Independence and was situated about a mile-and-half west-north-west of the present location. According to Oregon Geographic Names, the name Granite was chosen when its post office was established in 1878, the name "Independence" already being used in Polk County, Oregon. A. G. Tabor, who had staked the first mining claim on Granite Creek (the Independence) and was the only merchant in town at the time, served as the first postmaster. The city of Granite was incorporated in April 1900 with Grant Thornburg as mayor.

With more than eighty percent of the men in the area directly employed in the mining industry, the viability of the area's economy practically collapsed when gold mining was made illegal in 1942 by Federal Public Law L-208, under the authority of the War Labor Act. The city had a population of 45 in 1930, 86 in 1940, 40 in 1950, and two in 1960. Although electrical service, provided by a local power plant on Clear Creek, and telegraph and later telephone lines were operational in the early days, they fell out of use and were abandoned after World War II. Modern telephone service was extended to Granite in the year 2000.

As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 24, up from its population of 10 in 1990. It is the second-smallest (according to population) incorporated city in Oregon, after nearby Greenhorn, which has a population of zero.

Contents

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 kmĀ²), all of it land.

Full article ▸

related documents
Clovis, California
California, Missouri
Auxvasse, Missouri
Austin, Minnesota
Holly Springs, North Carolina
Palmer, Illinois
Elkhart, Illinois
Chicago Flood
Water tower
Nolanville, Texas
Enigma, Georgia
Placerville, Idaho
Screven, Georgia
Noble, Illinois
Trenton, Missouri
Sheridan, Indiana
Halltown, Missouri
Victoria, Virginia
Mediapolis, Iowa
Thames and Medway Canal
Neosho, Missouri
DeRidder, Louisiana
Chadwick, Illinois
Gustave Eiffel
Ansted, West Virginia
Blacksburg, Virginia
Gomersal
Iron City, Georgia
Tay Rail Bridge
Childress, Texas