Granton, Wisconsin

related topics
{household, population, family}
{household, population, female}
{village, small, smallsup}

Granton is a village in Clark County in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. The population was 406 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

The early history of our area before permanent settlers arrived was one of Indians and the fur trade under the French first, then the English, and finally the U. S. after 1815. The American Fur company dominated the fur trade in its final years. A treaty was made with the Winnebago Indians in 1837 ceding their lands to the U. S. They nominally owned roughly the territory east of the Black River and south of Township 25 (York).

This area does not seem to have been opened to homesteading before the early 1850's. There were few settlers before 1860. The Town of Lynn was organized on March 21, 1862 but it consisted of what is Fremont, Lynn and Grant. They met at the home of John D. Wage. In 1868 Grant was detached and made a separate town. In 1874 Fremont was created.

All of the early deeds are not an accurate record of the dates the land was settled as it was not until July 5, 1864 that land titles were regularly recorded by the Register of Deeds. This area was surveyed much later. Hiram Renne was one of the very early surveyors. Perhaps this accounts for the fact that he owned so much land in very early times. In the Town of York John Kintzele did much more detailed (sections and forty lines) surveying after his arrival in 1883.

The Clark County administration consisted of various officers and a 3 man board of commissioners in its earliest days. Charles Renne was the representative from Weston. In 1869 - 70 Harmon Allen was selected. In 1870 the County Board system was begun.

Geography

Granton is located at 44°35′14″N 90°27′42″W / 44.58722°N 90.46167°W / 44.58722; -90.46167 (44.587093, -90.461773)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.5 km²), all of it land.

Demographics

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 406 people, 156 households, and 104 families residing in the village. The population density was 718.0 people per square mile (275.0/km²). There were 164 housing units at an average density of 290.0/sq mi (111.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.03% White, 0.74% African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.49% Asian, and 0.49% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.25% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Lafayette, Ohio
Midvale, Ohio
Livingston, Wisconsin
Brice, Ohio
Hicksville, Ohio
Riverlea, Ohio
Lincoln, Wood County, Wisconsin
Medary, Wisconsin
Butternut, Wisconsin
Milford Center, Ohio
Holland, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin
North Perry, Ohio
Goetz, Wisconsin
Denmark, Wisconsin
Hilbert, Wisconsin
Grover Hill, Ohio
Spider Lake, Wisconsin
Kirkersville, Ohio
Chimney Rock, Wisconsin
St. Louisville, Ohio
Colburn, Adams County, Wisconsin
Lincoln, Adams County, Wisconsin
Potter, Wisconsin
Green Valley, Marathon County, Wisconsin
Franzen, Wisconsin
Florida, Ohio
Francis Creek, Wisconsin
Sugar Grove, Ohio
Millersburg, Ohio
Hansen, Wisconsin