Greenville, Indiana

related topics
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{township, household, population}
{line, north, south}
{@card@, make, design}
{town, population, incorporate}
{city, population, household}
{county, mile, population}
{group, member, jewish}

Greenville is a town in Greenville Township, Floyd County, Indiana, United States. The population was 591 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

Early in Floyd County's history, Greenville was initially to be the county seat. A New Albany resident offered to provide a bell for the courthouse, if and only if the courthouse were built in New Albany. Thus, it was built there instead.

Captain John Baptiste Ford found his way to Greenville as a 14 year old runaway from Danville, Kentucky. Ford began as an apprentice in the local saddle shop which led him into his first business venture. Ford purchased the Old Mill and saddle shop from its owner, added a grocery and began making tin pie safes which he sold through out the country. In 1824, Ford became the first man to succeed in making plate glass in the United States. That success was the precursor to several glass companies, most notably the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company now known as PPG. John Baptiste Ford became the father of American plate glass.

That original business venture that housed the mill, saddle shop and grocery still stands today. Historically referred to as the Old Mill and Ford's Flour Mill, The Greenville Station is believed to be the oldest commercial building in Greenville. Construction on the three-story brick structure began in 1810 and finished in 1812. Besides housing Ford's grocery and the saddle shop, the Old Mill was the Greenville Post Office from 1823 until the early 1940s when it was relocated to H. Miller's house at the corner of East First street and Hwy 150. The Station was a stop for the 104-mile stagecoach route that ran from Falls Cities to the Wabash River. The building also served as a stop along the Pony Express route from 1861 to 1867. The Greenville Station served as lodge hall for two civil organizations, the fraternal order of the Free and Accepted Masons and the International Order of Oddfellows. Through a majority of the early 20th century the Greenville Station was referred to by the townspeople as the "lodge building" or the "lodge."

On March 26, 1908 a fire destroyed most of the town's original buildings. Today, the Station stands just two-doors from one of the city's oldest home (rebuilt in 1908), which still boasts some of John B. Ford's original plate glass works.

Geography

Greenville is located at 38°22′22″N 85°59′19″W / 38.37278°N 85.98861°W / 38.37278; -85.98861 (38.372768, -85.988685)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.6 km²), all of it land.

The township is situated such that, clockwise, it borders the township of Jackson Township, Washington County to the northwest, Wood Township, Clark County to the northeast, Laffayette Township in Floyd County to the east, Georgetown Township to the south, Jackson Township, Harrison County to the southwest, and Morgan Township, Harrison County to the west.

Full article ▸

related documents
Columbiaville, Michigan
Knoxville, Illinois
Armada, Michigan
Underwood, Iowa
Hymera, Indiana
Williamsport, Indiana
Carroll, Iowa
Burwash Hall
Evans City, Pennsylvania
Grants, New Mexico
Cobble Hill Tunnel
Dewey-Humboldt, Arizona
Asheboro, North Carolina
Douglasville, Georgia
Placerville, California
Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania
Yoakum, Texas
Loxley, Alabama
Building
Stryker, Ohio
Trenton, Michigan
Bound Brook, New Jersey
New Boston, Texas
The Dakota
York, South Carolina
Becontree
Martindale, Texas
McIntyre Township, Pennsylvania
Blountsville, Alabama
Deadwood, South Dakota