Haderslev

related topics
{area, part, region}
{city, large, area}
{church, century, christian}
{government, party, election}
{island, water, area}
{town, population, incorporate}
{son, year, death}
{city, population, household}

Haderslev (German: Hadersleben) is a Danish town of Region of Southern Denmark with a population of 21,293 (1 January 2010).[1] It is the main town and the administrative seat of Haderslev Municipality.

Contents

History

Overview

Haderslev is situated in a valley, leading from Vojens to Haderslev Fjord and the Baltic Sea. Haderslev was presumably founded by Vikings at least a century before it was granted status as royal borough in 1292. At that time, it had become one of the main trading centres in Southern Jutland. In 1327, Haderslevhus, the royal castle, was mentioned for the first time. It was situated east of the cathedral; an area still called Slotsgrunden. In the following centuries the city prospered, building both the Gothic Cathedral and the second castle of Hansborg (burnt in 1644), which was similar to Kronborg. Due to the plague in Copenhagen, King Christian IV was married there. In the 16th century, the city became one of the first Scandinavian places to embrace the Lutheran Reformation. Prior to the Second Schleswig War of 1864, Haderslev was situated in the Duchy of Schleswig, a Danish fief, so its history is properly included in the contentious history of Schleswig-Holstein. From 1864 it was part of Prussia, and as such part of the North German Confederation, and from 1871 onwards, part of the German Empire. In the 1920 Schleswig Plebiscite that returned Northern Schleswig to Denmark, 38.6 % of Haderslev's inhabitants voted for remaining part of Germany and 61.4 % voted for the cession to Denmark.[2] It was formerly the capital of the German Kreis Hadersleben and the Danish Haderslev County.

Education in Haderslev

Three branches of University College South (Danish: University College Syd) can be found in Haderslev.

Full article ▸

related documents
Aabenraa Municipality
Hildesheim (district)
Marienwerder (region)
Lemvig
Vosges
Scottish Borders
Værløse
Simrishamn Municipality
Argyll and Bute
List of boroughs and census areas in Alaska
Älvdalen Municipality
Lüchow-Dannenberg
Mecklenburg-Strelitz (district)
List of parishes in Louisiana
Skåne County
Burlöv Municipality
Local Government Areas of Queensland
Holmsland
Cleveland, England
Gislaved Municipality
Aabybro Municipality
Farum municipality
San Diego County, California
Moldavia
Tingsryd Municipality
Sønderborg
Pontus
Rhône (department)
Tyrol (state)
Local Government Areas of Australia