Harrison, Maine

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{water, park, boat}
{town, population, incorporate}
{son, year, death}
{village, small, smallsup}

Harrison is a town in Cumberland County, Maine, United States. The population was 2,315 at the 2000 census. A historic resort area, Harrison straddles Long Lake and Crystal Lake. It is part of the PortlandSouth PortlandBiddeford, Maine metropolitan statistical area.

Contents

History

The Massachusetts General Court granted Otis Field Plantation in 1771 to James Otis and other heirs of Captain John Gorham and his company for their service in the 1690 Battle of Quebec. It replaced a 1736 grant which had been ruled invalid. In 1797, the plantation was incorporated as Otisfield. On March 8, 1805, Harrison was set off and incorporated from portions of Otisfield and Bridgton. It was named after a principal landowner, Harrison Gray Otis of Boston, the heir of James Otis. [1]

In the autumn of 1792, two brothers from Gorham, John and Nathan Carsley, built a camp and cleared land in Harrison. During the winter they returned to Gorham, coming back in March of 1793 with their wives. Because John Carsley and his wife remained in Harrison when Nathan Carsley and his wife resumed living in Gorham until 1796, he is considered the town's first permanent settler. More pioneers arrived, living in log houses chinked with moss. The outlet of Crystal Lake into Long Lake provided water power for industry, and James Sampson erected at Harrison village the first sawmill and gristmill. Over the years other industries followed, including a wire-making business, blacksmithy, shingle mill, harness-maker, foundry, carriage maker, clothing maker and shoe shop. Scribner's Mill (now a museum) was built in 1847 on the Crooked River. On Bear River, in 1867 the Harrison Water Power Company established the Bear River Woolen Mill, destroyed by fire in 1872. [2]

In 1832, the Cumberland and Oxford Canal opened, connecting Portland with Sebago Lake. A series of 27 locks lifted vessels from the elevation at Casco Bay to Sebago Lake. From there they traveled up the Songo River to Brandy Pond, then continued along Chute River to Long Lake. As the company name indicates, the canal was originally planned to reach Oxford County, but instead terminated at Harrison. The town became a center for trade and transportation, with wharves and warehouses lining the shore. [3]

Full article ▸

related documents
Poland, Maine
Elkridge, Maryland
Hoosick Falls, New York
Coraopolis, Pennsylvania
Harmony, Pennsylvania
Gueydan, Louisiana
Tappan, New York
Gordonsville, Virginia
Stockton, Maryland
Addison, Michigan
Freedom, Pennsylvania
Antoine, Arkansas
Alfred, Maine
Sharon, Connecticut
Braddock, Pennsylvania
Glasco, New York
Arrow Rock, Missouri
Glenwood, Utah
Whitinsville, Massachusetts
Bethlehem, New Hampshire
Hebron, New York
Grantsville, Maryland
Lynnville, Tennessee
Scottsville, Virginia
Riegelsville, Pennsylvania
Monroe, New Hampshire
Hermleigh, Texas
Dix, Illinois
Gibbs, Missouri
Corinna, Maine