Hawthorne, New York

related topics
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{church, century, christian}
{line, north, south}
{city, population, household}
{car, race, vehicle}
{disease, patient, cell}
{group, member, jewish}
{county, mile, population}

Hawthorne is an unincorporated hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) located in the town of Mount Pleasant in Westchester County, New York. The population was 5,083 at the 2000 census.

Contents

History

The village was originally known as Hammond's Mills, and was part of Frederick Philipse's estate Philipsburgh. On September 23, 1783 Major John André stopped here on his way to New York to ask directions after meeting with Benedict Arnold.

After the Revolutionary War, the name of the village changed to Unionville. The hamlet's population consisted mostly of farmers. The Reformed Church of Unionville (Hawthorne Reformed Church) was built here in 1818. In 1832, a one-room school house was built. In 1847, a railroad station was established on New York Central's Harlem Division, with the name Unionville. A post office was also established on February 10, 1851, and was designated Neperan after the Indian name for the Saw Mill River.

In the early 1890s real-estate developer Louis Smadbeck began buying up the area farms to sell as subdivide into parcels, which were sold to working and middle class people looking to escape the city.

In 1901, Rose Hawthorne Lathrop, also known as Mother Mary Alphonsa, O.P., a convert to Catholicism and daughter of Nathaniel Hawthorne, founded Rosary Hill Home in Sherman Park (now Thornwood) for those suffering from incurable cancer. Mother Mary Alphonsa also founded a Dominican Order now known as the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne. Shortly after the opening of the cancer home, the hamlet was renamed Hawthorne in Mother Mary Alphonsa's honor.

Rosary Hill Home is still operated by the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne consistent with its original mission and is located on a hilltop on Linda Avenue.

Hawthorne is the final resting place of Babe Ruth, James Cagney, Billy Martin, Ernesto Lecuona and many other notables interred at Gate of Heaven Cemetery.

Geography

Hawthorne is located at 41°6′13″N 73°47′45″W / 41.10361°N 73.79583°W / 41.10361; -73.79583 (41.103664, -73.795807)[1].

Full article ▸

related documents
Sewickley Heights, Pennsylvania
Mystic Island, New Jersey
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
Merrillville, Indiana
Moosic, Pennsylvania
Harvest, Alabama
Copper Canyon, Texas
Sands Point, New York
Midlothian, Illinois
Millbourne, Pennsylvania
Nesquehoning, Pennsylvania
Long Grove, Illinois
East Lyme, Connecticut
Whitehall, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Anthony, Texas
Kettleman City, California
Rockville Centre, New York
Rocklin, California
Indian Head, Maryland
Pine Bush, New York
Larchmont, New York
Pahrump, Nevada
Ottawa Hills, Ohio
North Fair Oaks, California
Croton-on-Hudson, New York
New City, New York
Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Tysons Corner, Virginia
Oak Park, California
Stuarts Draft, Virginia