Coordinates: 53°56′41″N 1°02′36″W / 53.94484°N 1.04336°W
Heslington is a suburban village and civil parish within the City of York, in North Yorkshire, England, south-east of the centre of York. Prior to 1974, it was a village in the Derwent Rural District, which was part of the East Riding of Yorkshire. From 1974 to 1996 it was part of the Selby district before becoming part of the new City of York unitary authority area.
According to the 2001 census the ward had a population of 4,122. The parish also includes the Badger Hill area.
It was probably an Anglian settlement and is mentioned in the Domesday Book. It became a Conservation Area in 1969.
Heslington Hall was built between 1565 and 1568 for Sir Thomas Eynns. In the 20th century it was owned by Richard de Yarburgh-Bateson, 6th Baron Deramore, and was used as the headquarters for the Royal Air Force's No. 4 (Bomber) Group from 1940–45. It is now the administrative headquarters for the University of York.
The village tends to be busy, partly because its facilities are convenient for students and staff of the University of York; in the main village street these include four banks, two pubs, a post office, a unisex hair salon, and a grocery shop. Heslington Church is nearby. The local school, Lord Deramore's Primary School, serves the residents of the nearby Badger Hill estate, Heslington village and the families of the scholars of the University of York.
The University of York started work on a second campus, named Heslington East in 2007, to the east of the village. There has been some controversy about the project as it was feared the village would be swamped by traffic and lose its status as a small urban village. The planning application went to public enquiry and the project was approved by the Department of Communities and Local Government in May 2007. The new campus opened in October 2009.
Full article ▸