Hyndman, Pennsylvania

related topics
{borough, population, unit_pref}
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{water, park, boat}

Hyndman is a borough in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, United States. 1005 residents were counted during the 2000 census.

Contents

History

The first known settler in the area was Samuel Waters, who lived near Wills Creek and built a bridge across it before 1800. About 1800, Jacob Burkett and Amos Raley started a boat-building business at the settlement called Bridgeport. Boats were needed to float grain down to Cumberland, Maryland. In 1850, Enoch Cade opened a store, and in 1865 a one-room school was opened. Samuel Miller began laying out a town on his land north of the creek. In 1871 the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad first came through the town going from Cumberland, Maryland to Pittsburgh, PA, and the Bedford and Bridgeport Railroad was built from Mt. Dallas (Everett) to Cumberland, Maryland. In September 1877 the town was incorporated, and in December of that year the town was renamed Hyndman in honor of the B&O's Connellsville Division Railroad Superintendent E. K. Hyndman. The first elected officials Chief Burgess S. M. Wilhelm, and Council members J. W. Madore, W. S. Mullin, Samuel Miller, and Henry Miller. Early industries included the manufacturing of bricks and limestone. (See, "The Kernel of Greatness" by the Bedford Heritage Commission, Inc., Pg. 136-137,)

In 1889 the National Bank of South Pennsylvania was opened in Hyndman. In 1905 this bank would fail. It was purchased by J. J. Hoblitzell, giving it the name it has today - The Hoblitzell National Bank. In 1892 the Hyndman Water Company was completed, in 1893 the electric plant opened, the telephone exchange was begun in 1906, and in 1927 a fire company was organized.

Geography

Hyndman is located at 39°49′16″N 78°43′17″W / 39.82111°N 78.72139°W / 39.82111; -78.72139 (39.821033, -78.721283).[1]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.4 km²), all of it land.

Demographics

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 1,005 people, 413 households, and 296 families residing in the borough. The population density was 1,849.6 people per square mile (718.6/km²). There were 448 housing units at an average density of 824.5/sq mi (320.3/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 98.11% White, 0.60% Native American, 0.50% from other races, and 0.80% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.80% of the population.

Full article ▸

related documents
Wrightsville, Pennsylvania
Swoyersville, Pennsylvania
Shelocta, Pennsylvania
Myerstown, Pennsylvania
Newville, Pennsylvania
Patton, Pennsylvania
Blairsville, Pennsylvania
Greencastle, Pennsylvania
Hughestown, Pennsylvania
New Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Callimont, Pennsylvania
Wormleysburg, Pennsylvania
Millersburg, Pennsylvania
St. Petersburg, Pennsylvania
Elizabethville, Pennsylvania
Chest Springs, Pennsylvania
Nescopeck, Pennsylvania
Shiremanstown, Pennsylvania
East Vandergrift, Pennsylvania
Herndon, Pennsylvania
Royalton, Pennsylvania
Delta, Pennsylvania
Central City, Pennsylvania
Smicksburg, Pennsylvania
New Stanton, Pennsylvania
Prospect, Pennsylvania
West Liberty, Pennsylvania
Sykesville, Pennsylvania
Kulpmont, Pennsylvania
East Conemaugh, Pennsylvania