Indian Rocks Beach, Florida

related topics
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{line, north, south}
{water, park, boat}
{island, water, area}

Indian Rocks Beach is a city in Pinellas County, Florida, United States. The population was 5,072 at the 2000 census. As of 2007, the population estimated by the U.S. Census Bureau is 5,167.[3]

Contents

Geography

Indian Rocks Beach is located at 27°53′45″N 82°50′51″W / 27.89583°N 82.8475°W / 27.89583; -82.8475 (27.895799, -82.847550).[4] It lies on a barrier island between the Gulf of Mexico and the Intracoastal Waterway. It is north of Indian Shores and south of Belleair Shore and Belleair Beach. Tourism is its primary industry. It was incorporated in 1956.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.6 km² (1.4 mi²). 2.4 km² (0.9 mi²) of it is land and 1.2 km² (0.5 mi²) of it (33.09%) is water.

History

Legend has it that Florida's Beach community of Indian Rocks Beach got its name when a native medicine man miraculously healed his chief with the waters from a natural sulfur spring believed to have been located in Kolb Park across from Indian Rocks Beach City Hall. Early settlers seeing the Indians on their way to the "rock encircled spring" would say, "The Indians are on their way to the rocks."

Around the latter part of the 19th century, a group from Cedar Key, among them L. W. Hamlin, explored the area and found a few settlers along the beach. The Hendricks family, according to a 1925 newspaper account, landed in the area in 1833 and homesteaded there. A settlement, Anona, has existed in the vicinity (on the mainland) since the mid-19th century. With the opening of a road from the waterway to the vicinity of Largo, the Indian Rocks area became a favorite spot for picnickers. Residents worshiped at the old Anona Church and children attended the Anona School. Among the early landmarks were the Indian Rocks Sundry Store, the Indian Beach Hotel and a railroad spur crossing the bay. After a number of years of declining use, the rail spur was removed. The first Indian Rocks Bridge was built in 1916, and its location, in the "Narrows," is indicated by a historical marker. The community grew and developed during its early days, but after World War II that growth started to accelerate rapidly. Many snowbirds from the Northern states and Canada make Indian Rocks their winter getaway. In fact, so many Irish-Americans from the ethnic enclave of South Buffalo, a neighborhood on Buffalo, New York's southside have relocated in Indian Rocks Beach and the adjoining community of Largo that this area is often referred to as South Buffalo South. Today, Indian Rocks Beach is a thriving community that has maintained most of its original character, and supports a lively mixture of recreational activities. From our Nature Preserve, to our parks, to our sandy shores, you'll find a smile on every face, and a warm Florida welcome with everyone you meet.

Full article ▸

related documents
Cherry Hills Village, Colorado
Winter Springs, Florida
Belleair, Florida
Graceville, Florida
Islandia, Florida
St. Pete Beach, Florida
Niceville, Florida
Port Richey, Florida
Coleman, Florida
Belleview, Florida
Springfield, Florida
Anna Maria, Florida
Holmes Beach, Florida
Lafayette, Colorado
Belleair Bluffs, Florida
Belleair Beach, Florida
Umatilla, Florida
Auburndale, Florida
Callaway, Florida
Williston, Florida
Woodland Park, Colorado
High Springs, Florida
St. Augustine Beach, Florida
Fellsmere, Florida
Zephyrhills, Florida
Bushnell, Florida
Mulberry, Florida
Oldsmar, Florida
Wewahitchka, Florida
Wray, Colorado