Ingleside, Texas

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{game, team, player}
{build, building, house}
{church, century, christian}
{@card@, make, design}
{area, community, home}
{work, book, publish}
{album, band, music}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}

Ingleside is a town in Nueces and San Patricio Counties in the U.S. state of Texas. The population was 9,388 at the 2000 census.

Ingleside is also home to Naval Station Ingleside. On August 24, 2005, the BRAC Committee voted to close the base.

Contents

Geography

Ingleside is located at 27°52′27″N 97°12′30″W / 27.87417°N 97.20833°W / 27.87417; -97.20833 (27.874070, -97.208379)[3]. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 14.5 square miles (37.6 km²), of which, 14.4 square miles (37.3 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 km²) of it (0.76%) is water.

History

Ingleside is located on the south-east tip of San Patricio County. Situated on the Corpus Christi Bay. The early communities of Ingleside have been known as Old Ingleside, Inwood, Ingleside Cove, Ingleside-on-the-Bay, Palomas, Cove City and Cove. The earliest community began in 1854 when George C. Hatch purchased land on both sides of the bayou. He later acquired over 3,800 acres of land, which he sold to Walter Ingalls, Henry Nold, James Aware, John Pollard, John W. Vineyard and others. They built homes on the bayou and at Ingleside Cove. Local lore and legend credits John Vineyard with naming Ingleside, which means “Fireside.” Vineyard named Ingleside for his ancestral home in Scotland.

In 1855 George and Marcellus Turner settled in the area. In 1857 Marcellus obtained a grant for the first post office. A local general store was opened by George Hatch and Youngs L. Coeman. Henry Nold II operated the Ingleside Male and Female Academy, often referred to as Nold Academy. He operated the boarding school from 1857 until it was destroyed by Union soldiers in 1862. During this period of development, Ingleside’s primary industries were farming and ranching. In the 1880s, George Hatch and his son John Hatch introduced grape culture to the area which developed into a flourishing business. This business lasted until the 1930s when the vines were killed by blight. Steamships plied the waters of the bay between Corpus Christi and Ingleside, carrying trade goods.

The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway was completed in Aransas Pass in 1887, but bypassed Ingleside, and Palomas (also known as Loma) was established as a flag stop for the railroad. Residents moved to set up a new town site on the railroad in 1893, and in the early 1890s real estate developers built a large hotel on the cove. The dreamed of boom never materialized, and the population during this period was listed as only thirty.

Full article ▸

related documents
Saint Clair, Missouri
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Hughes Springs, Texas
Fruit Heights, Utah
Granger, Texas
Buffalo, Wyoming
Aledo, Texas
Nome, Texas
Manor, Texas
Oak Hill, West Virginia
LaCoste, Texas
Glen Rose, Texas
Warden, Washington
Evanston, Wyoming
Scott City, Missouri
Grand Coulee, Washington
North Bonneville, Washington
McCleary, Washington
Glen Dale, West Virginia
Medical Lake, Washington
Point Blank, Texas
Morton, Washington
McMechen, West Virginia
Groveton, Texas
Bingen, Washington
Willard, Kansas
Garden Ridge, Texas
Bee Cave, Texas
Entiat, Washington
Ackerly, Texas