Inverness, Illinois

related topics
{household, population, female}
{area, part, region}
{village, small, smallsup}

Inverness is an affluent village in Cook County, Illinois, United States. The population was 6,749 at the 2000 census.

Contents

Geography

Inverness is located at 42°6′47″N 88°5′54″W / 42.11306°N 88.09833°W / 42.11306; -88.09833 (42.113275, -88.098433)[1].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 6.5 square miles (16.8 km²), of which, 6.3 square miles (16.4 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.4 km²) of it (2.32%) is water.

The western border of the village is defined by Barrington Rd. The eastern border by Roselle Rd. The northern border by Dundee Rd. The southern border by Algonquin Rd.

History

The Inverness area was first settled in 1836 by George Ela and became known as Deer Grove. After surveying the township area, in 1840 the US Government offered land in the area for $1.25 per acre. By 1854, rail service was established to Deer Grove and in 1859 the line was incorporated into the Chicago and Northwestern Railway system. The Inverness area was now easily accessible to Chicago. The frontier had been opened.

In 1926, Mr. Arthur T. McIntosh, one of Chicago's leading land developers, bought the Temple farm and house, which was originally built by Ralph Atkinson. It was the first of eleven parcels to be acquired by him. These lands, combined with the acquisition of the Cudahy Company Golf Course, comprised 1500 contiguous acres for development. With the area under McIntosh's control, it became known as Inverness after the McIntosh clan home in Scotland.

An important person during this early development was Way Thompson who preserved the natural beauty of the area by laying out the road system to take advantage of the rolling land and subdividing lots to conform to natural contours. A minimum lot size of 1-acre (4,000 m2) was established. Thompson also approved all house plans and where they were located on the lots. The first ten homes were even decorated by his wife, Barbara. The first new homes were occupied by 1939. These homes were mostly situated around the edge of the Inverness Golf Club and were designed to be affordable to young couples. They were priced from $9500 to $20,000. McIntosh built the first 20 homes. After that, the homes were custom built for individuals who purchased lots from McIntosh.

Construction in Inverness was halted during World War II. During the early post-war years, the McIntosh Company had complete control over the sale of lots as well as the resale of homes. Placement of homes was carefully controlled to protect the character of the community.

In 1962, Inverness was incorporated as a Village to be governed by a President and Board of Trustees. The first meeting of the Village board was July 5, 1962 and was held at the Field House, which was then at the western edge of the Village. In the spring of 1977 the Village Hall was relocated to a 100-year old farmhouse on Palatine Road. It was again relocated in 1985 to its present location at the Four Silos, which has become a famous landmark and gateway to the community.

Full article ▸

related documents
Bonney, Texas
The Hills, Texas
Alligator, Mississippi
Henry, Nebraska
Palmer, Nebraska
Danbury, Nebraska
Byron, Nebraska
Dawson, Nebraska
Farina, Illinois
Knollwood, Texas
Timbercreek Canyon, Texas
Forest Hills, North Carolina
Goodings Grove, Illinois
Holland Patent, New York
Bethlehem, West Virginia
Lenzburg, Illinois
Olmsted, Illinois
Whiteash, Illinois
Dean Lake, Minnesota
Dover Beaches South, New Jersey
Jansen, Nebraska
Clemmons, North Carolina
Pittsburg, Illinois
Fairview, Illinois
Hokendauqua, Pennsylvania
Shelton, Nebraska
State Line, Mississippi
New Hempstead, New York
Lake Tanglewood, Texas
Village Shires, Pennsylvania