Jackson, California

related topics
{household, population, family}
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}
{household, population, female}
{utc_offset, utc_offset_dst, timezone}
{war, force, army}
{government, party, election}
{god, call, give}
{area, community, home}
{town, population, incorporate}
{county, mile, population}

Coordinates: 38°20′56″N 120°46′27″W / 38.34889°N 120.77417°W / 38.34889; -120.77417

Jackson (formerly, Botilleas, Botilleas Spring, Bottileas, Bottle Spring,[3] and Botellas)[4] is the county seat of Amador County, California. The population was 3,989 at the 2000 census. The town is accessible by both State Route 49 and State Route 88.

Contents

Geography and geology

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.5 square miles (9.1 km²), all of it land. Jackson Creek traverses the city. Alluvial soils such as Pardee Cobbly Loam is found throughout the Jackson area.

History

The area was inhabited by the Northern Sierra Indians, who occupied areas along creeks, spring and seep areas, including permanent and seasonal drainages, flat ridges and terraces. Therefore, areas along watercourses are considered likely locations for prehistoric cultural resources. Permanent villages were usually placed on elevations above seasonal flood levels. Surrounding areas were used for hunting and seed, acorn, and grass gathering.

Jackson, named after Colonel Alden Jackson, was founded in 1848 around a year-round spring. Settlement of the region by American pioneers was stimulated by the discovery of gold in the Sierra foothills around 1848. The settlement was named for a local lawyer who was liked by miners named Alden Appola Moore Jackson. Although Amador County was an important mining center, its County seat of Jackson was not typical of the early gold camps. The camp grew quickly, as besides being a popular mining spot, it was also a convenient stopping place on the road from Sacramento to the Southern Mines. The camp became an important supply and transportation center for the neighboring towns, and by 1850 the population had reached an estimated 1,500. Jackson grew first as a watering hole for cattle, then as one of the earliest and most durable of the Mother Lode's hardrock mining areas.

Full article ▸

related documents
Plymouth, California
Page, Arizona
Litchfield Park, Arizona
Tolleson, Arizona
Somerton, Arizona
Urbana, Ohio
Aliceville, Alabama
Georgetown, Illinois
Bettles, Alaska
Cottonwood, Arizona
Ashford, Alabama
Rancho Cordova, California
Hughes, Alaska
Menasha, Wisconsin
Napoleon, Ohio
Ashville, Alabama
Andover, Ohio
New Concord, Ohio
Tenakee Springs, Alaska
Rogers, Ohio
Cedarville, Ohio
Centerburg, Ohio
Burton, Ohio
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Hiram, Ohio
Kohler, Wisconsin
Eloy, Arizona
Mountain Village, Alaska
El Mirage, Arizona
Grove City, Ohio