Jackson, Louisiana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{town, population, incorporate}
{school, student, university}
{area, community, home}
{area, part, region}
{black, white, people}

Jackson is a town in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 4,130 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Baton Rouge Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

Jackson was the location of first the College of Louisiana from 1825 until 1845 and the Methodist-affiliated Centenary College from 1845 until 1908, when it relocated to Shreveport.[1]

The parish of Jackson was founded in 1815 as the Seat of Justice for Feliciana Parish before the parish was divided into East and West. The town also served as a major commercial center and as a center for education, earning it the title "Athens of the South". Legend holds that the town was originally called Bear Corners for the many wild black bears crossing nearby Thompson's Creek, and that it eventually took its name from General Andrew Jackson, who reportedly camped there with his troops on a return trip north after the 1815 Battle of New Orleans[citation needed].

Geography

Jackson is located at 30°52′15″N 91°12′52″W / 30.87083°N 91.21444°W / 30.87083; -91.21444 (30.837588, -91.214436)[2].

Full article ▸

related documents
Washtucna, Washington
Wakefield-Peacedale, Rhode Island
Porterdale, Georgia
Quarryville, Pennsylvania
Middlefield, New York
Lawrenceville, Virginia
Lovettsville, Virginia
Paragonah, Utah
Lewis, Essex County, New York
Prattsville, New York
Queenstown, Maryland
Castorland, New York
Clermont, New York
Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
Godfrey, Illinois
Hamilton, Virginia
Rural Hall, North Carolina
Chester, Warren County, New York
York, New York
Peru, Maine
St. Armand, New York
Wilbur, Washington
Jamestown, Missouri
Hampton, Illinois
Bristol, New York
Eureka, Montana
Lanesville, Indiana
Franklin, Maine
Robesonia, Pennsylvania
Fort Cobb, Oklahoma