Jackson Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania

related topics
{township, household, population}
{area, part, region}
{land, century, early}
{line, north, south}
{household, population, female}
{village, small, smallsup}

Jackson Township is a township located in northern Lycoming County, Pennsylvania in the United States. The population was 414 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Williamsport, Pennsylvania Metropolitan Statistical Area.

The unincorporated village of Buttonwood is in the township. In Buttonwood there is a covered bridge over Blockhouse Creek, a tributary of Little Pine Creek.

Contents

History

Jackson Township was once part of Lycoming Township. At the time Lycoming Township stretched from the West Branch Susquehanna River to the northern border of Lycoming County. The residents of the northern part of the township became dissatisfied with their representation in township matters. Most of the officers of the townships were from the southern most portions near the river and they tended to forget about their neighbors to the north. The concerned citizens of the northern portions of Lycoming Township petitioned that a township for their interests be formed from Lycoming Township. The Pennsylvania General Assembly agreed and Jackson Township was formed in September 1824. The township was named for Andrew Jackson who was then know as the hero of the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812. He was not to become President until 1829.[3]

Peter Sechrist was one of the first settlers to arrive in Jackson Township. He moved there from Liverpool, Pennsylvania in 1811. Sechrist cleared the land for a farm and also constructed a saw and gristmill. His mills were the first of their kind in the area and his child, Daniel, was the first white child born in the area. Other earlier settlers, seeking their fortune, arrived from York County. Two sets of brothers, Jacob and Daniel Beck and George and Daniel Miller first stopped in Williamsport before moving further to the north. They cleared some dense wilderness and established their homesteads in what is now eastern Jackson Township.[3]

The population of Jackson Township was 619 according to the 1890 census. It has since declined to 414 residents as of the 2000 census. The area is largely mountainous and is covered with a thriving second growth forest.

Full article ▸

related documents
Comstock Township, Michigan
Kalamazoo Township, Michigan
Bridgeton Township, Pennsylvania
Cummings Township, Pennsylvania
Arcadia Township, Manistee County, Michigan
Easttown Township, Pennsylvania
Watervliet Township, Michigan
Richmond Township, Macomb County, Michigan
Crystal Township, Montcalm County, Michigan
Warrington Township, York County, Pennsylvania
Livingston Township, Michigan
Webster Township, Rice County, Minnesota
Leeds Township, Murray County, Minnesota
Columbus Township, Luce County, Michigan
Bruce Township, Todd County, Minnesota
Loyalsock Township, Pennsylvania
Holland Township, Missaukee County, Michigan
West Abington Township, Pennsylvania
Upper Chichester Township, Pennsylvania
West Branch Township, Missaukee County, Michigan
Cedar Creek Township, Muskegon County, Michigan
Home Township, Newaygo County, Michigan
Richland Township, Missaukee County, Michigan
Tyrone Township, Livingston County, Michigan
Deerfield Township, Mecosta County, Michigan
Dover Township, Lenawee County, Michigan
Wheatland Township, Mecosta County, Michigan
Norwich Township, Newaygo County, Michigan
Maple Valley Township, Montcalm County, Michigan
Mills Township, Midland County, Michigan