Juniata College

related topics
{school, student, university}
{company, market, business}
{build, building, house}
{government, party, election}
{theory, work, human}
{game, team, player}
{work, book, publish}
{rate, high, increase}
{disease, patient, cell}
{son, year, death}
{water, park, boat}
{line, north, south}
{area, part, region}

Juniata College is a private liberal arts college located in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. It is named after the Juniata River — one of the principal tributaries of the Susquehanna River. In 1876 it became the first college founded by the Church of the Brethren and has been co-educational since that time. Juniata has a current enrollment of approximately 1,500 students from 28 states and territories and 26 foreign countries.

Contents

History

The Huntingdon Normal School was established by a young Huntingdon physician, Dr. Andrew B. Brumbaugh, and his two cousins, Henry and John Brumbaugh. Henry provided a second-story room over his local printing shop for classes while John lodged and fed the college's first teacher, Jacob M. Zuck, free for one year. Andrew was to "provide students and furniture".

Juniata's first classes were held on April 17, 1876 with Zuck teaching Rebecca Cornelius, Maggie D. Miller, and Gaius M. Brumbaugh, the only son of Andrew Brumbaugh. In 1879 classes moved into Founder's Hall, the school's first permanent building on the present day campus. The college was renamed "Juniata College" in 1893 for the nearby Juniata River and its watershed.

In 1895 Dr. Martin Grove Brumbaugh, an 1881 graduate from Huntingdon Normal, took over the active presidency of Juniata until 1901 whereby he continued in name only until 1910. During and after his tenure, Brumbaugh remained intimately connected to the college, and reacquired the presidency in 1924.

M. G. Brumbaugh died unexpectedly in 1930 while on vacation in Pinehurst, North Carolina and was succeeded in his presidency by a former pupil at Juniata, Dr. Charles Calvert Ellis.

The current president of Juniata College is Dr. Thomas R. Kepple Jr.

Campus

The main campus area is 110 acres (0.45 km2), and the college manages a 315-acre (1.27 km2) Baker-Henry Nature Preserve. The college has discussed building a retirement community on the site. Two new buildings since 2000 include the Von Liebig Center for Science and the Suzanne von Liebig Theatre. The newest building project on the campus is the renovation of Founders Hall, which was the first building on campus. Construction is projected to finish in June 2009 and with the use of underground geothermal energy. This building will be recognized as a LEED Silver building.

Full article ▸

related documents
Montgomery College
Victoria University in the University of Toronto
Geneva College
Old Tappan, New Jersey
State University of New York
Millsaps College
University of Wisconsin System
Milton Hershey School
Trinity College, Cambridge
St. Mary's University, Texas
Mount Saint Vincent University
Tenafly, New Jersey
Australian Catholic University
School
University of Minnesota system
Moonachie, New Jersey
Waldwick, New Jersey
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
Montvale, New Jersey
Glen Ridge, New Jersey
Wolfson College, Oxford
Manalapan Township, New Jersey
Acadia University
Dalhousie University
Wittenberg University
Maywood, New Jersey
University of New South Wales
University of La Verne
Exeter College, Oxford
Western Connecticut State University