King of Prussia, Pennsylvania

related topics
{area, community, home}
{household, population, female}
{city, large, area}
{build, building, house}
{line, north, south}
{day, year, event}
{theory, work, human}
{company, market, business}
{language, word, form}
{area, part, region}
{car, race, vehicle}
{war, force, army}
{system, computer, user}
{island, water, area}
{school, student, university}
{mi², represent, 1st}

King of Prussia is a census-designated place in Upper Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States. As of the 2000 census, its population was 18,511. The community took its name in the 18th century from a local tavern named "The King of Prussia Inn", which was named after Frederick II, King of Prussia. Like the rest of Montgomery County, King of Prussia continues to experience rapid development. The largest shopping mall in the United States in terms of leasable retail space, the King of Prussia Mall, is located here. Also located here is the headquarters of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Region I.

Contents

History

The eponymous inn was originally constructed as a cottage in 1719 by the Welsh Quakers William and Janet Rees, founders of nearby Reeseville. The cottage was converted to an inn 1769 and did a steady business in colonial times as it was approximately a day's travel by horse from Philadelphia. Settlers headed west to Ohio would sleep at the inn on their first night on the road. In 1774 the Rees family hired James Barry (or Jimmy Berry) to manage the inn, which henceforth became known as "Berry's Tavern". General George Washington first visited the tavern on Thanksgiving Day in 1777 while the Continental Army was encamped at Whitemarsh; a few weeks later Washington and the army bivouacked at nearby Valley Forge.[1]

Parker's spy map, created by a Tory sympathizer of the Kingdom of Great Britain, listed the inn as "Berry's" in 1777, but a local petition in 1786 identified it as the "King of Prussia". It was possibly renamed in honor of Benjamin Franklin's pro-American satirical essay "An Edict by the King of Prussia".[2] At some point a wooden signboard of the inn depicted King Frederick the Great of Prussia. The inn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[3]

Full article ▸

related documents
Rowland Heights, California
Springfield, Virginia
Alamo, California
Langley Park, Maryland
El Dorado Hills, California
Carmel, Indiana
Lincolnwood, Illinois
Fountain Valley, California
Streamwood, Illinois
Katy, Texas
Palm Desert, California
Ferndale, Michigan
Mill Valley, California
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
Lake St. Louis, Missouri
Cherry Valley, Illinois
Wayne, Illinois
Brookeville, Maryland
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Oak Park, Illinois
Sea Ranch Lakes, Florida
Cedar Hill, Texas
Oelwein, Iowa
Missouri City, Texas
Columbia, Maryland
Citrus Heights, California
Brandon, Florida
Hudson, Ohio
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Highlands Ranch, Colorado